Ms290 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treebilly

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what serial number they had a lifetime warrentee on the coil in this model? I'm asking for a friend who says it has no spark at all. Hopefully he will bring it by soon so I can check it out before he takes it to the dealer

And most of those coils replaced on these models are probably not needed. The 0000 400 1300 is a very common coil, fits most of the mid-range stihl saws.

You can pick a used coil on Ebay (OEM) quite a bit cheaper than most dealers. That would be the route I would take if you truly diagnose that it is a "no go."

Yeah, with the 029/ms290, the coil is also mounted on a plastic crankcase, but the coil needs to be grounded to the block to function, so there is one more thing to look at/check.... And of course the side of the plug needs to be grounded to test as well..
Proper testing is something that folks just assume, but is never really discussed, because, well, whatever reason......
But most folks just assume plugging in a plug on the coil wire is all that is needed, and if they don't get a shock, well, then it has no spark..... I need to figure out how to put up movies......

Back