Ms290 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad_mat222

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy, got a ms290 and the piston is scored. Ordered just a cheap Chinese P&c and they sent one with machine screws that were to short. Got some longer bolts for it and see how it goes. It owes me $60 so far so not too worried.
Anyway, I have cleaned up the case and it’s had a hard life. The plastic surrounding the clutch area has melted at some stage. As long as it’s not fouling the clutch I will leave it and leave as much material as possible.
As per pic below, what do you do to start melting plastic? Jamm the bar and rev **** out of it?

A7F2CD5F-133C-42A7-BAE9-E7EDF0E80885.jpeg

Chain brake stuck on, (most likely), or dust/chips and oil or very heavy pitch build up causing clutch to overheat. Owners not taking the time to clean the saw out after heavy or any long time use and expect it to run perfectly forever.

I am in the middle of 290 build now. Just assembled the lower tank and engine today. I had to buy a new tank unit as this one had a 5/8" hole in the bottom. Of course I did a Meteor piston and OEM seals cuz of minor scoring and all that.

Attachments

• MS290 tank 1.jpg
    MS290 tank 1.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 7
  • MS290 tank 2.jpg
    MS290 tank 2.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 7
  • MS290 tank 3.jpg
    MS290 tank 3.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 7
I wonder how the case will now hold the brake band captive when not in use due to the melting / burnt plastic? Best of luck with the build. Expect to pay more in parts to repair it than the saw is worth, but just enjoy it, the process and the results.

The case doesnt foul so shouldn’t be a problem. I checked the brake, clutch and pads. Everything seems ok. No obvious damage or wear. The picture obviously indicates some sort of abuse. As well as the state I got the saw in, completely covered in muck. But once cleaned up and with the exception of exhaust side piston damage, I think this saw is pretty new. Just been trashed. The plastics don’t have scratches or general wear and tear. The inside of the engine looks almost new. i Would say this is probably the first saw the person owned and just had no idea, left the brake on, smoked it and probably ran too lean. Just a guess.

Oh and just found the flywheel key has stripped. I’ll cut a slot and install a steel one. I have access to cutters.

Back