Ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeeez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Ok, not so long ago I had a thread asking for some help regarding my first chainsaw. I was debating the Husky 350 and Stihl MS250. After some research and reevaluating my needs, I just decided to go next level (just slightly though :) )

Now I'm looking at MS290 and 353 (I jsut hope by next week I'm not comparing MS880 to husky 3120 series LOL). :D
I know a lot of people in this forum whose opinions I respect, say to stay away from 50cc range Stihls..
My local dealer has the MS290 with a 16" bar for $329 and the 353 for $349. I did a search on this forum and saw a lot people saying that the MS290 is underpowered for its weight.

Now I really don't care about weight, but from what I can see the MS290 has 2.8kw of power vs 2.4kw from the 353. Yet, I have a feeling that most people will steer me towards the 353..

What is it that tips the scales towards the 353, despite the MS290 appearing to be the better value and the more established saw?
What am I missing here? :dizzy:

Nothing is missing.. It just depends of who responds to the thread!! Reading this site you'd think most people own Dolmar, but check a few of the past polls.

The 290 is a fine reliable saw... Want more power - get a 310.

deeeez said:
What is it that tips the scales towards the 353, despite the MS290 appearing to be the better value and the more established saw?

Weight (3lbs), air filtration (no comparison), and a magnesium crankcase are points in favor of the 353. The 290 has a hair more power on paper and is a good, reliable saw, but does not have the revs or throttle response of the 353. The 290 and 353 both take well to muffler modification, and the 353 is a realistic candidate for porting work, too.

Either would be a perfectly good all-around saw that would last even a very enthusiastic home woodcutter for a number of years. I would probably take the 353, but I ran a 290 for years and can attest to it being a flawless performer that is quite capable of working all day long.

Lakeside53 said:
Nothing is missing.. It just depends of who responds to the thread!! Reading this site you'd think most people own Dolmar, but check a few of the past polls.

The 290 is fine reliable saw... Want more power - get a 310.

Great advice as usual from the Man. If you've seen a 290 thread, you've seen that I've always liked that saw in it's intended role. The whole 290 series (290, 310, 390) are excellent for the homeowner and firewood and as long as you don't try to tackle timber with it, you're fine. How much are they asking for the 310? Same weight, more power. And you say you don't care about weight....run it all day and you might change your mind.

As an aside, Andy-Did they ever make an 029 split vertically? Cutting yesterday with my buddy, at a glance as he was putting his 029 Super away, it looked vertically split.

fishhuntcutwood said:
As an aside, Andy-Did they ever make an 029 split vertically? Cutting yesterday with my buddy, at a glance as he was putting his 029 Super away, it looked vertically split.

I don't even know what a verticaly split saw is - unless it's where Brutus is headed.;)

Nope, the 029S is now exactly what the MS290 is... 1mm bigger bore than the older 029. Same construction as the 310 and 390.

I replaced a 029 a few years ago with a MS270C. I ran them sise by side and though stated 1/4 hp less than 290 it came through the wood better and is basically a pro saw. It also weighs over a pound less than the 290. I know I wouldn't go back to the 290 after owning this.
Good luck again.:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 029 Farm Boss. I'm also looking at the 353 with a 16 inch bar and chain. I've also looked at the MS280. I'm going to go with the 353 though. The main reason I want to get another saw is because of the weight of the 029. My 029 was listed in the Stihl catalog as weighing 13.5 lbs. back in 2000. Some say the MS290 is closer to 13.5 lbs. then 13 lbs.

My friend has a Husky 350 with a 16 inch bar that seems to cut just as fast as my 029, even in a 12 inch log and seems a lot smoother doing it. The Husky's have a lot better air filter and anti vibe system then the MS290. I'm going to go with the 353 instead of the 350 because the 353 is more of a "pro saw" and hopefully it will be a little more durable in the long run.

If you don't mind the weight of the MS290 they're a good saw. Mine has been 100% reliable. Like I said I just don't like the weight of them for the power they make.

Go with a Husky and/or look at the Dolmar 5100. Had the 390, OK, but not impresive. If you get the 290, may as well get the 390, same weight. Sorry, the Stihls have nothing on Husky in that size saw.
Andy

If you get the 290, may as well get the 390, same weight.

Amen. Can this guy get the 290 idea out of his head? Go with the 390 (and the competition in that price range.......... Husky, Dolmar).

Own a MS 290, it's okay, wouldn't buy another, spend the $ and go up the food chain.

i'd steer you towards the 346xp or the dolmar 5100.

i like the 270 better than the 290.you could always get an old 031.great saw.

for the sake of conversation, and consideration... 346xp or 260?

:jawdrop: <--- That, gentlemen, is my wallet.
Oh and there is a real good chance that you'll see either one on ebay shortly after my wife kills me and chops me up with it....... God help me LOL :chainsaw:

deeeez said:
for the sake of conversation, and consideration... 346xp or 260?

:jawdrop: <--- That, gentlemen, is my wallet.
Oh and there is a real good chance that you'll see either one on ebay shortly after my wife kills me and chops me up with it....... God help me LOL :chainsaw:

My votes for the 260, I don't have any experience with the Husky.

NYH1 said:
deeeez, what are you going to use this saw for?

I'm going to cut a 4 or 5 large trees to redo my backyard... after that, I'm going to do maintenance, less than an hour of running time per year...

but initially, 4 or 5 large trees....

Large trees is a iffy sorta measurement, here large is 4 or 5 ft dia. I assume large in your yard isn't quite that big :laugh:

Get yourself a 290 if you want a Stihl and it will do the job. It not a pro grade saw, but you aren't going to use it every day so it will last for many years. Plenty of other options with Husky and others, but if you have a good Stihl dealer it's hard to go wrong.

I have a MS 310 thats cut a lot of 'big' trees, up to 36" dia and it's still going strong. I have a Dolmar 7900 now, but thats a whole different grade of saw :)

Cheers

Ian

Ms-310,

you'll like it and when you are on this forum alot you will want an diff saw so just go small and then you will want more power and then a muffler mod, your screawed like i am. JUst buy lot's of chain saws it helps me sleep at night.

4 or 5 trees and then some light running each year? I'd say just about anything would do. An MS310 sitting in the shed all year doens't make much sense.

250/260 sounds about right.

deeeez said:
Hello everyone,

Ok, not so long ago I had a thread asking for some help regarding my first chainsaw. I was debating the Husky 350 and Stihl MS250. After some research and reevaluating my needs, I just decided to go next level (just slightly though :) )

Now I'm looking at MS290 and 353 (I jsut hope by next week I'm not comparing MS880 to husky 3120 series LOL). :D
I know a lot of people in this forum whose opinions I respect, say to stay away from 50cc range Stihls..
My local dealer has the MS290 with a 16" bar for $329 and the 353 for $349. I did a search on this forum and saw a lot people saying that the MS290 is underpowered for its weight.

Now I really don't care about weight, but from what I can see the MS290 has 2.8kw of power vs 2.4kw from the 353. Yet, I have a feeling that most people will steer me towards the 353..

I'll tell you what is going to tip the scales,
Both are good saws with lots of parts support, Both have a good history as a reliable saw. One has a better air filter cleaning system but who cares your not going to use it that long to clog the filter.
So the only thing that would tip the scales would be the attitude of the dealer. You be the Judge, Step back and see how your dealer treats other customers.

Latest posts

Back