Ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes said:
4 or 5 trees and then some light running each year?

Have you priced having the trees removed? For the cost of a saw, ppe, and your time is it really worth it? That's gonna be a LOT of material to deal with.

Tree removal companys excel at these sorts of things. I absoluely still use 'em when necessary.

If it's trees that you can tackle you could just rent a saw. Maybe your dealers have a used MS290 or Husky 455to rent or purchase... Many rental places rent Stihls or Huskys and you could get a demo and some work done at the same time.

IMHO, if you're gonna run it so little I don't think power/weight is much of a factor.

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Have you priced having the trees removed? For the cost of a saw, ppe, and your time is it really worth it? That's gonna be a LOT of material to deal with.

Tree removal companys excel at these sorts of things. I absoluely still use 'em when necessary.

If it's trees that you can tackle you could just rent a saw. Maybe your dealers have a used MS290 or Husky 455to rent or purchase... Many rental places rent Stihls or Huskys and you could get a demo and some work done at the same time.

IMHO, if you're gonna run it so little I don't think power/weight is much of a factor.

Chaser

I have priced it and just one of them is $500, cheaper than I anticipated. but the one I priced is a dandy, with giant roots coming out of the ground. It would probably cost me around $2000 to $2.5K to remove everything. I'm thinking I'll do it myself and but do it slowly.... over a matter of 2 or 3 weeks, and have a chainsaw to boot at the end :)

I used my buddies poulon pro with 18" bar, just to mess around an cut a few roots. It felt heavy, but it did the job alright... That particular poulon is a 42cc model I believe... I have a hard time believing that the Poulon or any other 42cc saw would be able to handle all the workload.... All these trees have at least a 1.5' diameter and range from 30' to 75' tall.

Deeeez, I see where you are coming from. sounds like a lot of money to get trees cut down.
You also have to consider time involved, don't forget clean up also.
Can you burn in your area. Stump removal. What dangers are around the trees to be felled ?
I'm not trying to discourage you but these are the things that is considered in the price quote form your tree service dude.

deeeez said:
I have priced it and just one of them is $500, cheaper than I anticipated. but the one I priced is a dandy, with giant roots coming out of the ground. It would probably cost me around $2000 to $2.5K to remove everything. I'm thinking I'll do it myself and but do it slowly.... over a matter of 2 or 3 weeks, and have a chainsaw to boot at the end :)

I used my buddies poulon pro with 18" bar, just to mess around an cut a few roots. It felt heavy, but it did the job alright... That particular poulon is a 42cc model I believe... I have a hard time believing that the Poulon or any other 42cc saw would be able to handle all the workload.... All these trees have at least a 1.5' diameter and range from 30' to 75' tall.

I don't mean to be cynical, but how hurt can you afford to get? It could wind up cheaper to buy a saw AND pay someone to remove them.

Are you planning to climb these trees or drop them and cut them up? Is there anything within 100' of 'em that you value and cannot move?

I'm just a little leery of helping someone get injured. I've got enough equipment and experience to know when to avoid certain work.

I don't want you to let price get you into trouble, that's all.

Regards,

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
I don't mean to be cynical, but how hurt can you afford to get? It could wind up cheaper to buy a saw AND pay someone to remove them.

Are you planning to climb these trees or drop them and cut them up? Is there anything within 100' of 'em that you value and cannot move?

I'm just a little leery of helping someone get injured. I've got enough equipment and experience to know when to avoid certain work.

I don't want you to let price get you into trouble, that's all.

Regards,

Chaser

I hear where you coming from and you have a very valid point.. to be honest it's more about me wanting to do it myself than anything else.... That would be something I would be proud of.
I've read up on how to fell a tree, it was in one of the manuals for the husky saws.... I'm by no means an expert, and I'll start on the samller trees before I work myself up to the largest one.

In fact, the one tree that I had mentioned earlier will be cut this Sunday, I'll be eagerly waiting for the guys to come and hopefully they'll let me play around with their saws LOL.

Latest posts

Back