MS291 engine block side plate. Should it just sit in there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There's a plate on the side of the MS291's engine block clamshell. It's like part of the block (maybe 2 inches by 3 inches or so) and it just sits in there. When we removed the engine it just fell off. Should it be attached somehow?

Attachments

• ms291_sideplate.jpg
    ms291_sideplate.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 31
Screwed.. I'm guessing thats why it had to be rebuilt. Should be attached need a new cylinder the only option for new cylinder is OEM or used OEM. No aftermarket cylinders for 271/291....

How is it attached? Why do they do this as opposed to one solid piece?

It's like an o-ring channel where the two meet. And it's not even a break. It's obviously separately cast in two pieces.

How is it attached? Why do they do this as opposed to one solid piece?

It's like an o-ring channel where the two meet. And it's not even a break. It's obviously separately cast in two pieces.
No idea. Some of the aftermarket's that manufacture cylinders just did away with it on other saws (one solid cylinder).

Its epoxied on i am guessing from the factory , a friend of mine has a ms 391 that blew the crank side port cover off while he was sawing , i havent tore into his yet but i am guessing he will need a new piston and a cylinder due it leaking for some time ,but if i can i am going to jb weld his back on .

Yes, that transfer cover should be glued / bonded onto the cylinder,
they do have a habit of falling off, I wouldn't have one of those saws if I got it for nothing.
A good going MS 251 will out cut it and keep on going too.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Exactly. I got a MS311 for nothing.

It had been stripped of some parts so I pieced it back together.

Got it running and found that the the RH transfer cover leaked (sucked air).

So now I’m waiting for the price of the aftermarket cylinders to come down so I can fix Stihl’s ****up.

Yes... what was Stihl thinking! I know we're in an era where glue makers make high claims... but, high temperature of a saw and high vibration with a glued engine block... what could possibly go wrong? There's no way I'd ever even think about gluing anything together in that kind of an environment.

Latest posts

Back