MS291 Gasket Maker Mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyBillJr

Reaction score
Just finished one of my first full rebuilds on an MS291, and I’ve been having gasket maker troubles. I would prefer to just cut one out of Velpro, but these saws come from factory with Dirko. I’ve made 3 attempts using Perma Ultra Red (cleaned the flange and crankcase thoroughly each time) and finally got one to pass pressure/vac and compression testing.

I ran it and tuned it this afternoon and it all went fine, no apparent issues, but when I went to inspect the spark plug I saw bits of red silicone on it. Turns out, I used too much and now the cylinder and piston are dusted with RTV.

I know I should use anaerobic Dirko/yamma/loctite/perma in the future, but is there a significant risk to running the saw as is? Anyone have any ideas on how to clean the gunk out short of doing another full teardown? Or, should I just bite the bullet and redo it ASAP.

Attachments

• D9710D83-2BE7-48B3-8691-3DF806AD5400.jpeg
    D9710D83-2BE7-48B3-8691-3DF806AD5400.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    10.2 MB
I use Three Bond it comes in a tube and is very easy to work with. I use a paint by number brush, a pack of 10 very very cheap. I squeeze the tube till a small amount starts to come out then dip a paint brush into it and paint it on the saws mating surface takes 2 minutes then just toss the brush.

I use Three Bond it comes in a tube and is very easy to work with. I use a paint by number brush, a pack of 10 very very cheap. I squeeze the tube till a small amount starts to come out then dip a paint brush into it and paint it on the saws mating surface takes 2 minutes then just toss the brush.
Thanks Jeff, I’ll give it a try. Should I keep the saw shelved until I get around to it, or do you think I could get away with some light use?

Latest posts

Back