MS310 Bar Oiler wont work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billkater

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS310 the I cant get the oiler to work. I have tried the following:

1. Checked the oiler drive. Not stripped. Looks good
2. Verified the bar oil hole not plugged.
3. Drained oil from tank. Filled with gas and rinsed (twice). Drained and refilled with new bar oil
4. Inserted a small wire in relief hole behind bar.
5. Adjusted the oiler to full open. And full closed. And many places in-between.
6. Used compressed air and blew into oiler hole.

With bar removed and engine running I get almost no oil out of the oiler.

Any other suggestions?

If I have to replace the oiler pump, how hard is it?

Thansk

Bill

I took the clutch off and looked at it? Guess it is called the worm gear. Still threads inside of it. Didn't look worn.
Well, the oil pump was right there, so why are you asking how to get to it?

Dump the oil out again, keep the bar/chain off, fill the tank with gas mix and run a while. See if the clogs break loose.

I know the pump is right there. Didn't know how hard it is to change thou? Is it needed to replace hoses, ect?

I will try flushing with gas mix again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Is your oil tank valve working? Clean it all up, take the oil tank cap off and then put some pressure through the valve from the outside. If pressure builds up on your tester it’s blocked. I’m not sure if they can be cleaned, better to probably replace.

The tip of the leg spring on the worn engaging the notch in the sprocket?
Yes it was.....

Is your oil tank valve working? Clean it all up, take the oil tank cap off and then put some pressure through the valve from the outside. If pressure builds up on your tester it’s blocked. I’m not sure if they can be cleaned, better to probably replace.

I will try this tonight

Running just gas mix works for about 10 seconds then quits. I take cap off tank and gas mix with flow out of oiler without it running. Is there a vent in the cap of the oil tank?

Running just gas mix works for about 10 seconds then quits. I take cap off tank and gas mix with flow out of oiler without it running. Is there a vent in the cap of the oil tank?

They depend on oil viscosity to semi seal the system. That’s why no oiler system stays dry when not in use. They all leak by design. Gasoline, which I never tried, may be too thin. It may pass right through.
The vent is just above the bar mount studs. It‘ a small barrel, silver in color pushed into the side.
It has a hole in the center. The cap has it vent and should not leak. (Good luck finding one that doesn’t’ if it’s a Stihl. LOL)

The vent is just above the bar mount studs. It‘ a small barrel, silver in color pushed into the side.
It has a hole in the center. The cap has it vent and should not leak. (Good luck finding one that doesn’t’ if it’s a Stihl. LOL)
I thought that was a check valve?

They depend on oil viscosity to semi seal the system. That’s why no oiler system stays dry when not in use. They all leak by design. Gasoline, which I never tried, may be too thin. It may pass right through.
So, should I put a air hose to the vent? I pressed in the hole with a dental pick. Got very little oil out of it.

So, should I put a air hose to the vent? I pressed in the hole with a dental pick. Got very little oil out of it.

You need a gauge to test it properly. It’s an atmospheric valve it’s just to maintain equilibrium between inside and outside the oil tank to stop a vacuum forming. If you are able to ensure your oil pickup is submerged in oil while having the oil tank cap off start and run the saw all at the same time. If it oils then, then you know it’s a valve issue.

You need a gauge to test it properly. It’s an atmospheric valve it’s just to maintain equilibrium between inside and outside the oil tank to stop a vacuum forming. If you are able to ensure your oil pickup is submerged in oil while having the oil tank cap off start and run the saw all at the same time. If it oils then, then you know it’s a valve issue.
I will see what I can do

I thought that was a check valve?

Which is shaped like a barrel. Maybe cylinder is a better description. But you don’t know that till it’s out. It’s a vent. You want to call it a check valve, feel free. You would be correct. Ok?
And my first post should have said the cap doesn't have a vent.

This
d4eb058239c8cf2cc783d592e8101b1b.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back