MS310 Bucking Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Fellas,

I called my local stihl dealer about putting on an outside spike on my 310. It does have the holes predrilled. It was something like $20 bucks for the spike and hardware. But...he asked me why i want spikes on the outside? for better control obviously if i have to make an awkward cut or something, plus they look cool! but he basically said i was an idiot and no saw should have spikes on it at all. is he the idiot? could someone help me and fill me on what spikes from what other stihls will fit the 310? thanks!!!!

If spikes are stupid, and an outside spike is even more stupid, then why would all the heavy hitters have both spikes?!....

Last edited:
Spikes aren't stupid, they are pretty much mandatory for felling large trees. As for outside spikes, I can't say much as I've never had them. They do look cool though, and I can't see as they would hinder your saw in any way shape or form, so I would get them just for the cool factor.

My thoughts exactly! I am no pro-logger by any means, but have taken down some big trees in my time and you need spikes. obviously, you will damage something if you lean on it too hard due to the leverage you can make with the spikes...

I agree, they look cool.

my 455 came with only an inside spike and I went looking for an outside spike and was belittled so I make an awesome set of really mean looking spikes for it and and they work really well. Just a thought, I don't know how handy you are with fabrication of things like that. felling dogs are really useful. I don't know why they don't put inner and outter on the smaller saws but I know I like having them both if I am cutting in an awkward postition. they help for control and leverage. and they look cool, if you are handy enough you can make a really aggressive pair if not I would buy them.

Stihl makes a chain catcher kit that includes two spikes that are a little larger than stock.That kit may fit your 310.The part number is: 1135 650 7750

I have them on my ms260 and my 036.

I second the bumper spike/chain catch kit. Very nice setup. Benefits: both spikes are exact match and the roller chain catch is MUCH better than the stock AL tab. I can't vouch for it fitting a 310 though, but probably does.

thanks for all the input so far guys!

bigmoose - do you happen to have a picture of the kit on your ms260? i think i am liking the kit idea...as long as it isnt real expensive.

Need to find yourself another dealer. It's obvious he's better at selling saws than using them. The "dawgs" are an excellent addition for control, either felling or bucking. It gives a pivot point for leverage and control.
Nothing wrong with you wanting to make the addition to the saw. On all my saws except the 660, I just run a single dawg. The big boy has two.

yea i am not too pleased with the local dealer. i googled the kit and found a pic of it on a 361 and i like it. ill call a dealer and find out a price. thanks so much everyone!

Be careful before you hang your dealer...The clutch cover is plastic on the 290/310/390 and not the strongest in the world...Not saying you can't do it, but just be prepared for the "I told you so" when it breaks...If you do choose to do it just be careful how hard you load the outside dog...Good luck on which ever you decide...:cheers:

i think this is the same cover that is used on the 361: should be strong enough. anything can be broken with enough leverage. i am just not sure about the need to put doubles on this saw. they tend to get in the way with trimming and the real benefit is for bucking bigger trees.

did this for laughs a while ago

big cover 660 spikes
attachment.php

I put the double dawg chain catcher kit on my 361 so i could flush cut stumps, when the roots are coming out towards the ground it was hard to get any leverage, but i works great and looks cool now, thinking i need to get a set for the 460 and take off the stock chain catcher, when making noddles, the catcher catches the noddels and plugs it up

If you're pulling hard enough to break the clutch cover you're definitely pulling waaayyyy too hard. Regardless of whether it's plastic or not. Also putting a hell of a lot of strain on the AV. With a sharp chain and properly running saw the saw does the work and you just guide it with assistance of the bumper spikes........

About half my saws are setup double spike. For bucking non-uniform shaped wood, flushing stumps and primary felling saws they are a requirement in my book. IRCC the 361 kit was just shy of $40 a few years back. A single outside spike will run a third of that, so to me it's a good deal. They will stick out just a bit more than stock, but it's well worth it.

i lean on mine as little as possible, so i really doubt i would have problems with the plastic cover. like you said, leaning that hard to break the cover...you are just going to kill your saw. I like the kit and i think i am going to go with it. I can really see it helping when flushing stumps. A good chain catcher is also a plus. Thanks everyone!

I cut 8 large stumps flush to the ground the other day and was thanking God for my saw dogs the whole time. I sharpened the chain after each stump (LGX). They have their place - if you don't like them then don't use them, but it is silly to criticize folks who find them helpful. Like any tool they can be abused, but used properly they are an awesome improvement on a saw.

Latest posts

Back