Ms361 available mods and endurance questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadwood Kid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello. my name is brandon and i live in oregon. ive grown up around logging and have befriended many x, current and prolly future loggers. over the last couple of years ive taken interest into felling and have learned a lot from listening and following instructions as i messed up.

now to business. i have a ms361 prolly around a 2005, before they came up with all the easy start and tooless bar tensioning bull####. its totally stock besides new, bigger dogs and regular routine maintence. im running a 28" bar, basically maxing out the stock saw's capabilities. ive asked saw shops about max flow air filters, porting mufflers and cylinder work etc. and all seem to be strongly against it for voiding waranty's (mines long gone) or simply because they say "yeah you're adding power, but you're taking the life of the saw away at the same time"

so what kind of mods are available for the ms361? double dogs are hard enough to find, and i cant even find a max flow air filter to fit it. i know you can port the mufflers and image the other mechanical work can be done.

but heres the real question ive been dying to know. are the saw shops really right? it makes sense that the more power you put threw the saw, the faster it will be eaten up, but are some mods less\more hard on the saw. and do hopped up saws really "blow up" faster, or can you just semi-supe a saw so its endurance is still factory dependable.

i appreciate any informations. i want to add more power to my saw, but not sacrifice the life of the saw?

thank you.
~deadwood kid

Back