MS361 won't start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naughty!!

Just kidding. Who knows what the cause was, but hey it’s working :)
Living on a bush/farm block I like all my engines ready to go at all times. So all fuel is ethanol free, preservative added, 2 stroke mixed at 32:1 and I have fuel in every engine (brush saw, fire pump, chainsaws, generator, etc) and the saws sharp and pumps primed every day. That way if there's a fire, blackout, tree down, etc I'm ready to go in an instant.

FWIW, I've had my 361 flood so bad that I thought something was wrong, too. Took it back to the dealer under warranty, and it started right up for him. Doh!

It would save a lot of arm wear if you would learn how to quickly unflood an engine. If the crankcase gets filled with fuel, just letting it sit or pulling it over with the plug out will take forever. You have to remove the plug and hold the saw upside down with the plug hole at the bottom, NOW pull it over with the saw in this position until it stops spraying fuel out the plug hole. Some fuel will probably end up in the bottom of the piston so turn it right side up, let it drain down, then invert and pull again. Do this until NO fuel spays out of the plug hole and you are good to stick the plug in and try starting. The residual fuel still in the saw might foul the plug so remove it after a few pulls and see if it is still dry. Remember to do this with the ignition OFF to protect the coil.

Living on a bush/farm block I like all my engines ready to go at all times. So all fuel is ethanol free, preservative added, 2 stroke mixed at 32:1 and I have fuel in every engine (brush saw, fire pump, chainsaws, generator, etc) and the saws sharp and pumps primed every day. That way if there's a fire, blackout, tree down, etc I'm ready to go in an instant.
32:1 might be a little too greasy for that saw, I use around 42:1 on mine.

I run the stihl top synthetic. Pour a gallon amount of oil / mix... in and put in .90 gallon of premium fuel. Not sure what that ratio is. But it works in several chainsaws and leaf blowers etc

It would save a lot of arm wear if you would learn how to quickly unflood an engine. If the crankcase gets filled with fuel, just letting it sit or pulling it over with the plug out will take forever. You have to remove the plug and hold the saw upside down with the plug hole at the bottom, NOW pull it over with the saw in this position until it stops spraying fuel out the plug hole. Some fuel will probably end up in the bottom of the piston so turn it right side up, let it drain down, then invert and pull again. Do this until NO fuel spays out of the plug hole and you are good to stick the plug in and try starting. The residual fuel still in the saw might foul the plug so remove it after a few pulls and see if it is still dry. Remember to do this with the ignition OFF to protect the coil.

Good stuff! If at home use compressed air blown in to help move air to speed up evaporatation of fuel, you could even use a shop vacuum, a hose on the exhaust . Got to be proactive to move air to dry out the cylinder. Just sitting most of the time just does not work as you have found out.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't think I would suck gasoline vapor into a shop vac on a bet...

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't think I would suck gasoline vapor into a shop vac on a bet...

Reread the post "...you could even use a shop vacuum, a hose on the exhaust ." You would be using the exhaust side of the vac blowing air into the cylinder IF you don't own a air compressor, and NOT sucking in fumes directly into the shop vac by using the inlet side. Just wanted to make that clear as you may have read it too fast.

Cheers

Reread the post "...you could even use a shop vacuum, a hose on the exhaust ." You would be using the exhaust side of the vac blowing air into the cylinder IF you don't own a air compressor, and NOT sucking in fumes directly into the shop vac by using the inlet side. Just wanted to make that clear as you may have read it too fast.

Cheers
Probably most of us have an air compressor, I'm far from the richest guy here and I have two so I'd use the air compressor over the vacuum. When I moved into my current house the previous owner left me two shop vacs and one upright vacuum and I already owned one shop vac.

Back