MS391 trade in or sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Pecan is a stringy wood almost like elm. It doesn't noodle as well as one would like. (a lot of cross grain)
A hydraulic splitter is your friend on this type of wood.
Cut it 8" long and sell it to guys that smoke with it.

Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
You will need to adjust your carb after those changes. I use a tach so I know exactly were I'm at. My friends 441c, mtronics, adjusts itself. I still need a screwdriver and a tach which I don't mind. I also recommend downloading your service manual to find out your idle and high end speed rpms.

rob066

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I realize that but with these two saws being new they have the "intellicarb" as stihl calls it. That is the part that confuses me I guess. I thought that adjust the fuel/air ratio. I assume I still adjust them the same as the old saws?
It does to a point but adjusts for a dirty air filter and thats about it. It has no wide range adjustment to compensate for mods. You must do that manually. The cm saw are controlled electronically and have a wide range of adjustment enough to compensate for mods. The cm have enough range that they will flood out even with an air leak.

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Intellicarb is basically useless. Helps stop catastrophic failure from a plugged air filter. It means nothing when it comes to tuning. The saw is still 100% manually tuned.

nickwa04

nickwa04

ArboristSite Lurker
Good to know! Now just to get the limiters removed on the adjustment screws. Assume you have to remove carb. My junk echo 306 I got free I muffler mod it and easy to tune did not have to deal with removing limiter caps. I will say though I am extremely disappointed in the filter on the ms391. I noticed fine fine pieces of dust on the plastic intake of carb.

kenneth davidson

kenneth davidson

ArboristSite Lurker
Good to know! Now just to get the limiters removed on the adjustment screws. Assume you have to remove carb. My junk echo 306 I got free I muffler mod it and easy to tune did not have to deal with removing limiter caps. I will say though I am extremely disappointed in the filter on the ms391. I noticed fine fine pieces of dust on the plastic intake of carb.
I found some information similar to your comment about dirt getting through the air filter. You can use K&N air filter oil on the inside of the filter to help keep dirt out. I did that this weekend and it trapped the fine dust, but also sealed around the gasket.

Latest posts