MS440 Chainbrake Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a new owner to used MS440 that (unbeknownst to me) needed a little work upon its arrival. It was supposedly "a good runner" which apparently means different things to different people.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with the chain brake. When I got the saw and engaged the chain brake at idle the saw would die. I pulled the clutch drum and one clutch spring was attached and two were stretched out and barely hanging on. I just went ahead and replaced the entire clutch to be safe and reassembled thinking the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, I'm still having the problem with the motor dieing when I engage the chain brake.

Any suggestions or did I miss something along the way?

I'm a new owner to used MS440 that (unbeknownst to me) needed a little work upon its arrival. It was supposedly "a good runner" which apparently means different things to different people.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with the chain brake. When I got the saw and engaged the chain brake at idle the saw would die. I pulled the clutch drum and one clutch spring was attached and two were stretched out and barely hanging on. I just went ahead and replaced the entire clutch to be safe and reassembled thinking the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, I'm still having the problem with the motor dieing when I engage the chain brake.

Any suggestions or did I miss something along the way?

Did you replace the clutch drum bearing? Sounds like it's not allowing the crank to freewheel inside the drum.

Did you replace the clutch drum bearing? Sounds like it's not allowing the crank to freewheel inside the drum.

No, I didn't replace the needle bearing. It looked okay visually and seemed to spin fine but I'll have another look at it and maybe pick up a new one. They're cheap enough.

where did you buy this saw from ? Fleabay ? if so I would be opening a dispute about the saw if it is not as described and getting a part refund for the money youve sunk into the saw

where did you buy this saw from ? Fleabay ? if so I would be opening a dispute about the saw if it is not as described and getting a part refund for the money youve sunk into the saw

It was in fact an eBay saw (surprise surprise). I've bought a couple off of there before without any problems however this one has required a little more attention than I expected. Unfortunately, a couple weeks had passed between receiving the saw and me actually having the time to investigate the problems and I don't think that would be totally fair to the seller to raise a stink now.

In the end, I find it more of a challenge to fix it and get it running correctly than I care to get into it with the seller. In my opinion, it comes with the territory of buying this type of item online.

It was in fact an eBay saw (surprise surprise). I've bought a couple off of there before without any problems however this one has required a little more attention than I expected. Unfortunately, a couple weeks had passed between receiving the saw and me actually having the time to investigate the problems and I don't think that would be totally fair to the seller to raise a stink now.

In the end, I find it more of a challenge to fix it and get it running correctly than I care to get into it with the seller. In my opinion, it comes with the territory of buying this type of item online.

Thats fair to be honest. Still at least you know not to buy from the seller again. Any saws I sell I always offer full money back and try to make them 100% working

Careful...there have been a lot of cats that think they got "hosed" on an ebay auction. Just to find out they got exactly what they paid for.

Post up a link to the auction if you can.

Gary

It looks like that clutch drum bearing might be my problem. It's not spinning as freely as I initially thought when I took it apart the first time. I'll pick one up this week and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion Wiggles.

Here's the auction: STIHL MS440 CHAINSAW 24 IN BAR NICE-1 - eBay (item 230586286538 end time Feb-15-11 03:37:57 PST)

I didn't say I got hosed because I really didn't. I was just disappointed I had to immediately start taking it apart to troubleshoot the chain brake problem.

But, I do believe that comes with the territory of buying used equipment without the opportunity to run it beforehand. Either way, this saw should run very nicely when I get this sorted out.

Take the sprocket cover, bar and chain off. Turn the sprocket by hand and see if the crank moves, if it does take off the sprocket, take a look at the needle bearing and also check the sprocket doesn't have flat sides i.e. warped. If not take the clutch and washer off and take a look at the worm and spring (metal piece which the sprocket turns) and see if anything is jamming.

Back