MS440 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Want to use the MS440 in a speed cutting competition - it is a cold start 3 cut format and the class is restricted to saws up to 73cc (4.5ci)- so the MS440 is perfect.

Now the problem comes in that the class calls for std saws - no mods what so ever .... but I am running a dual port muffler, and they might DQ me based that it is not standard.

So this is where the help/question comes in.

Is there anywhere that the MS440 or 044 was ever sold std with the dual port as std equipment ?

Is there any documentation out there that shows the dual muffler as a option on the MS440/044 ?

I checked the parts list and it is not found on the MS440/044 only on the MS460 .........

If you could send me any information I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks
Mike

As far as I know, the dual port was only offered on the 046/460... Yes it does fit the 440, but...

Do the rules say "stock USA models"? the mufflers do change around the world....

If the rules are "as shipped from the factory" you have another problem - the mufflers have become more restrictive over the years and you'd have to match the muffler and carb to the year of manf.. and later is worse... The exit in the 440 is tiny in comparison to the earlier 044's

MR. probably knows all the rules inside and out...!

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how strict the rules are, but i'd show them the Stihl part number on the front cover and tell them that is the way you bought it....

Amish dealer in these parts sells all the 440's 460's and 660's with the dual port covers, seriously. he claims there is less lean seized saws brought in for repair and they make a little more power.

Back