ms440 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not exactly sure how to check them, but I can say that with the original bar and chain the saw appears to operate correctly.

A visual check to see if there are deep grooves cut into the drive side of a spur sprocket it needs replacing, when you can see where the tie straps are leaving an impression on the drive ring then it needs replacing.With wear marks like these the pitch of the driving mechanism is changing, getting wider apart, and it may work ok on the old chain that is broken in to that worn drive setup but a new chain will bind up on that worn drive gear.

sorry for the delay, i haven't been able to get into this site for a few days because spam keeps redirecting me when i would try to visit the site.

I think you are on to something because we can find absolutely nothing! i'm probably going to go ahead and order a new one because i don't know what else to do or check. before i order, i have read there were 2 different rim sprockets used on the 440, one being low profile. are you familiar with this? my rim sprocket has 3/8-7 stamped on it.

A visual check to see if there are deep grooves cut into the drive side of a spur sprocket it needs replacing, when you can see where the tie straps are leaving an impression on the drive ring then it needs replacing.With wear marks like these the pitch of the driving mechanism is changing, getting wider apart, and it may work ok on the old chain that is broken in to that worn drive setup but a new chain will bind up on that worn drive gear.

sorry for the delay, i haven't been able to get into this site for a few days because spam keeps redirecting me when i would try to visit the site.

I think you are on to something because we can find absolutely nothing! i'm probably going to go ahead and order a new one because i don't know what else to do or check. before i order, i have read there were 2 different rim sprockets used on the 440, one being low profile. are you familiar with this? my rim sprocket has 3/8-7 stamped on it.

I think you might be getting the 3/8" Low Profile ,Picco type chain mixed up with the regular 3/8" full sized chain. The Picco type is used mostly on smaller cc sized saws instead of .325 size. What brand of chain are you using now and could you post the numbers?

I think you might be getting the 3/8" Low Profile ,Picco type chain mixed up with the regular 3/8" full sized chain. The Picco type is used mostly on smaller cc sized saws instead of .325 size. What brand of chain are you using now and could you post the numbers?

They are Stihl Brand.

3/8 .063 Pro Series ES Bar
STIHL PN# 3003 000 9421

STIHL 20" 3/8 RSC OILOMATIC CHAIN (Yellow Agressive)
Stihl PN# 3634 005 0081
36 RSC 72
72 DL / .063 Guage / 3/8 Pitch
Stihl Pn 3621 005 0072

They are Stihl Brand.

3/8 .063 Pro Series ES Bar
STIHL PN# 3003 000 9421

STIHL 20" 3/8 RSC OILOMATIC CHAIN (Yellow Agressive)
Stihl PN# 3634 005 0081
36 RSC 72
72 DL / .063 Guage / 3/8 Pitch
Stihl Pn 3621 005 0072

They should work fine on your 044, right size pitch and gauge. Only the drive left, either sprocket or ring type but if either of them are badly worn it will cause a jerky or even hesitant chain slide on a properly adjusted chain.

They should work fine on your 044, right size pitch and gauge. Only the drive left, either sprocket or ring type but if either of them are badly worn it will cause a jerky or even hesitant chain slide on a properly adjusted chain.

I;m not sure if this helps, but if the chain is spun in the reverse direction it turns easier than if moved in the proper direction. Also, when I remove the cover, I can feel the bar move "relax" towards me (pretty sure that's normal tho)

here are a few pics
photo.jpgimage-1.jpgimage.jpg

I;m not sure if this helps, but if the chain is spun in the reverse direction it turns easier than if moved in the proper direction. Also, when I remove the cover, I can feel the bar move "relax" towards me (pretty sure that's normal tho)

here are a few pics
View attachment 316760View attachment 316761View attachment 316762

That ring drive is beat to death, the tiestraps are digging down into the ring . Get a new ring on there and your chain will run smoothly....:msp_wink:

That ring drive is beat to death, the tiestraps are digging down into the ring . Get a new ring on there and your chain will run smoothly....:msp_wink:

I'm going to start calling you "chainsaw jesus". I notice what you are saying now that I'm looking at a new one online and I see what you're saying about the tiestraps. Thanks again, rep coming your way when it allows me.

Back