MS441 vs MS441/460 vs 372BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything pretty much identical, except I added a little ignition timing advance to it.

I like to keep my muffler mods clean and stock look as much as possible. I can get quite a lot of exhaust area by enlarging some factory exits and simply extending the deflector. I've done that to both the 440 and 441. I may still go ahead and another port though.

You put the second port on mine and I really like it. It is basically in the same spot as the stock outlet but on the opposite side of the muffler. It hasn't caused any problems at all. Today it worked as a nice hand warming device in some of the big cuts! It was nice as I forgot my gloves and it was cold up here!LOL

I have to agree with ya there 372's sound good...but a nice ported 385 sounds better....nothin like sound of a 385 with a 2ft bar flyin around the base of a tree...395's have a sound of their own....and a great sound at that.....now a 288xp with a jungle muffler sounds awesome as well...

IMHO, a 372 sounds far more angry. The 372 make considerable more RPMs, and just screams like a howling banshee!

You put the second port on mine and I really like it. It is basically in the same spot as the stock outlet but on the opposite side of the muffler. It hasn't caused any problems at all. Today it worked as a nice hand warming device in some of the big cuts! It was nice as I forgot my gloves and it was cold up here!LOL

That's exactly where I'll put it if I do so. Gotta love those Husky deflectors:)

Heck, my stock 044 runs that good...:laugh: It could be the Beard though.....or the cottonwood :laugh:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNFPbuZb6NU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNFPbuZb6NU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice vid Brad...Not to high jack your thread, but have you modded a 372x-torq yet? if so what are you thoughts?...Yes you know where im going with this:clap:

You just blew my mind Brad. What? 1 1/2 is 1 1/2 isent it?

Maybe this will help? Its kind of crude though.

attachment.php

IMHO, a 372 sounds far more angry. The 372 make considerable more RPMs, and just screams like a howling banshee!

oh i definetly agree with you on that....thats why i just bought a 06' 372xp yesterday...She's needs a topend....PORTED BIG BORE TIME!!!!..lol:hmm3grin2orange:

EDIT: oh btw..i got four 385's a 390 as well....lol And brad i have 2 different 385xp cases..one has the crank in it...one set is split..without the crank..and just the old bearings in it...if your interested i will sell theses cases...i have other parts/saws as well...my old project 2100cd and 298xp are gonna go too...as i have no use...pm me if your interested

Last edited:
I can help in this statistical analysis of the data as well. Sax, I agree with you that with a bench dyno and same diameter wood, data could be more uniform with less error due to human factor. Enough someone in measuring cutting time with a chronograph to introduce error. But, in the lack of a bench dyno, you could still make the test by increasing the number of cuts (repetitions) to decrease the influence of error caused by the human operator. Important is to use a uniform diameter wood, and a must to use the same bar size with a new chain for each saw and randomly select the succession of cuts for each saw. Before each cut saws should be weighted and set at the same initial weight, lets say 12 kg for example.

It's not a matter of reducing the influence of variation (I'd say error, but most people think "mistake" when they see the word error), but actually getting a good measure of the variation due to operator variation and wood consistency.

If I tell you I'm getting gas for $1.25 a gallon, you know that's cheap because you have multiple measures of gas prices. The gas prices vary, but you know how much they vary.

If I say I got a Shimano Stella FA10000 in excellent condition for $450, many wouldn't have a clue as to whether that was cheap, fair, or overpriced. They have not looked at enough Stella prices to know how much variation exists.

If you have a lot of cuts with each saw (preferably alternating cuts), you can tease apart how much variation is due to the cutting conditions, and how much variation is due to differences between the saws.

The important is that all this will accomplish is a more precise estimate of the difference between 2 (or more) individual saws. It will not tell you what the actual differences are between models. It's reasonable to assume the same model saws should perform similarly, but not reasonable to assume they will perform identically. It's even less reasonable to assume that the same person modding 2 saws of the same model will produce 2 identical saws.

So...one could certainly produce a more reliable estimate of the differences observed by using the numbers generated from such a test in an appropriate fashion. I'm of the opinion that if you are going to provide numbers, you should make the effort to make them meaningful.

BUT it still is just the difference between individual saws, in a single type and size of wood, on one particular day. Your mileage most likely will vary.

It's the beard.....

Definitely the beard:D

After running all three saws back to back, I personally like the feel of the 441 and 372 the best. I couldn't tell any real weight difference between the three, and if you have an issue with 6oz you shouldn't be running any 70cc saw IMHO. Power was also not an issue here, it really comes down to feel, and the 441 and 372 just have a better feel to me. The handle placement and angles on the 441/372 are simply a better fit for me + they are much smoother than the 440/460.

Like others have said the 441 should make better power after a bit of run time, so it may very well come out on top eventually. When it come down to it I'd be happy with any of the three saws.

I know why people love the 440, durability, weight? word of mouth and so on. However I don't understand it, the 441/372/7900 are simply nicer more modern, and stronger stock, I see nothing not to like IMHO.

372's sound FTW!!! They sound so sweet with the muffler completely gutted and dualed. The guys I was working in the bush with last winter always told me I was running my 371 way too lean because it screamed so loud; I put three or four tanks a day through it that way though, and if anything it's cutting stronger now than then.

I was skeptical of all the hype I had seen on here regarding them being so incredibly awesome, but I'd have to agree after owning one. Can't really find a fault with them.

Latest posts

Back