MS460 air leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coredaus

Reaction score
Patient is a 460, melted piston/cylinder. before disassembling top end, did a pressure test. the oil seal is leaking like an SOB, I'll replace.
Also noticed that air is leaking out of this screw hole (oil pump mount screw hole, clutch side). Is this normal, the screw just plugs this leak?? Just trying to avoid ripping open bottom end
upload_2016-4-9_11-20-53.png

Suggest checking the crank bearings since a bad bearing can cause the oil seal to fail; if the saw's got lot of hours, it may be worthwhile to replace them anyway. Splitting the case is a pain, but the bearings and gaskets are cheap.
Place the small rubber 0-ring to the right of the crank in a safe place until re-assembly; they're easy to lose.
The service manual doesn't mention any special treatment of the oil pump screw hole you mentioned.

I don't recall if those oil mount holes are supposed to be blind or go through the case wall . The screw threads should seal it up though. It'd be easy enough to test, just thread in the screws and check for bubbles.

That hole should be 4mm and not go through the case in my experience, in the picture it looks oversize (5mm), maybe a prior owner stripped the old hole and used a larger screw as a repair?
lots of good advise already in this thread specific to your question
dave

Hopefully that hole didn't get blown out when the pump was last installed. If so I would imagine there would have to be a chunk of magnesium floating around that has already passed through the system or is ready to.

cool thanks for the responses. man this site is awesome, wealth of knowledge. I'll throw up some pics once I look into this more

460`s are notorious for spinning the bearings on the clutch side, have many case halves with spun bearing syndrome here, the bearing will feel good but it will spin in the case and it will cause a vac leak, the seal lip will wear unevenly.

Split the case... The hole is blind, and 4mm as it should be. Found the issue, maybe.
looks like a crack, going all the way around the bearing seat. or not, is the bearing seat an inserted piece cast into housing?? can see the broken paint line all the way around.
whatchya'll think, this thing shot?
already have the new top end parts, would rebuild if it makes $ sense

upload_2016-4-10_17-31-17.png
upload_2016-4-10_17-35-17.png

I think you will find that crack will cause an air leak, I fixed one like that with Locktite 290 Green, it is a wicking type locker that I applied to a case I had cleaned thoroughly with acetone. With the engine built to the point I could do a vac test, all blockers in place applied vac while applying acetone to the damaged area, the vac drew it into the crankcase, let it sit for an hour and then applied the green Locktite to the damaged area again with vac pulled on the case, it drew the Locktite into the cracks, after applying a good amount of sealer I removed the vac and left a little sealer on the surface of the cracks. After 12 hours I completed the assembly of the saw, it held vac and is still running 5 years later.

I think you will find that crack will cause an air leak, I fixed one like that with Locktite 290 Green, it is a wicking type locker that I applied to a case I had cleaned thoroughly with acetone. With the entire built to the point I could do a vac test, all blockers in place applied vac while applying acetone to the damaged area, the vac drew it into the crankcase, let it sit for an hour and then applied the green Locktite to the damaged area again with vac pulled on the case, it drew the Locktite into the cracks, after applying a good amount of sealer I removed the vac and left a little sealer on the surface of the cracks. After 12 hours I completed the assembly of the saw, it held vac and is still running 5 years later.
Slick work there :cheers:

Latest posts

Back