MS460 Arctic system removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janesy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 MS460's.

First is an Arctic model. 1 year old, has been home ported, runs like a top. BUT...it spend the first two months of its life rolling around on the floor in a skidder and is basically a write off as far as estetics are concerned. More so the bottom of the case is worn away in spots right down exposing the AV rubber.

2nd I just received and the most unbelievable price, It is Clean on the outside, and like new on the inside. It was a back up saw to a 660. so its basically new.

I want to swap the heated options from the Arctic model and install them on the regular model. All I can find only is that its a generator mounted behind the flywheel creating the juice. As far as tearing the machines down thats no big deal. My question lies behind the flyweel...Is the generator still outside the case? and do all the cases and cranks have the provisions to have this generator all set up. Basically if I tear these two down, will the current generating parts from the Arctic saw bolt right back up to the non-arctic version?

Essentially I'm taking all of the best cleanest parts from both saws and creating one mint saw and one saw for the workers to abuse.

So I have 2 MS460's.

First is an Arctic model. 1 year old, has been home ported, runs like a top. BUT...it spend the first two months of its life rolling around on the floor in a skidder and is basically a write off as far as estetics are concerned. More so the bottom of the case is worn away in spots right down exposing the AV rubber.

2nd I just received and the most unbelievable price, It is Clean on the outside, and like new on the inside. It was a back up saw to a 660. so its basically new.

I want to swap the heated options from the Arctic model and install them on the regular model. All I can find only is that its a generator mounted behind the flywheel creating the juice. As far as tearing the machines down thats no big deal. My question lies behind the flyweel...Is the generator still outside the case? and do all the cases and cranks have the provisions to have this generator all set up. Basically if I tear these two down, will the current generating parts from the Arctic saw bolt right back up to the non-arctic version?

Essentially I'm taking all of the best cleanest parts from both saws and creating one mint saw and one saw for the workers to abuse.

Looking at the IPL the generator mounts behind the flywheel. If you need a hand just holla!

You will nee to pull the flywheel, generator, wring, heating elements from the carb and tank handle, and of course the handlebar. All nice and easy to remove.
Most importantly look at how the wires are routed as you disassemble, so you have a nice clean install when you are done.

Very cool, thanks guys. I totally forgot I have the 460 Service maual downloaded in my phone.
If its just bolted on, thats an easy swap.

Back