Ms460 bar and chain help needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strtspdlx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My saw currently has a 20" b&c on it. Recently I've been getting into larger trees something along the lines of 24-28" possibly some larger but it would only be about a dozen or so. I'm looking at a 25" and 28" setup for the saw. I was curious if anyone had input as to which setup gave the best overall balance with weight and power. I'd think a 25" could handle everything id come across but if the 28" has better balance I'm not opposed to it. Also my saw is currently setup with a 3/8-7 rim sprocket. If I change to either bar should I change the rim sprocket. If so what would you recommend? It does need a new rim sprocket so if I can just buy one for a good setup id prefer to do that. Thanks for any help.

Regards-Carlo

The shorter you can get by with the better IMO. If I could cut those dozen larger trees by cutting from both sides, I'd save the $$ on new bar and chains. As for the rim, stick with the 7 pin and replace as necessary. That being said, I think the 460 will oil the 28" fine (which is probably the first limiting factor in regards to bar length) and either will balance out okay too.

I think I may go with the 25". It's odd because the 28" bar is $5 more and the chains are the same price for either setup. Which is the whole reason I couldn't decide to begin with.

Regards-Carlo

The 460 has plenty of grunt to run any of the bars you're proposing. What I would do though is get the longer bar (28") so that you can handle pretty much anything that comes your way. Then I would probably do most of the cutting with the 20 you have.
The 25 is probably the best overall bar for that saw but it only increases your capability some whereas the 28" would move you up the scale farther. (I have every length of bar so I just use what I need for the job but you may not need a full array)
And stay with the 3/8 x 7t rim, it's the correct choice.

I think that saw would do well with an 18" and 28" combo or a 20" and 28" combo. 3/8" 7t is what you want. Consider skip chain on the 28" setup, both for chip clearance (not truly an issue at that length) but also to keep the saw happy and up in its good powerband.

28" isn't that much longer but I like the reach. If you don't want to buy new I happen to have a used ES bar here in 28" 3/8" .050" I don't need.

28" isn't that much longer but I like the reach. If you don't want to buy new I happen to have a used ES bar here in 28" 3/8" .050" I don't need.
I may have to take you up on that. Pm sent. My biggest concern was weight. I'm sure it isn't much but carrying it around all day might be something I can complain about. I sold my 385 with a 24" setup because for what I do I don't need to lug around a saw that heavy all day. Of course I now regret it which is why I got the ms460 and I also have a 455 rancher for limbing and such.

Regards-Carlo

Latest posts

Back