ms460 or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eguinn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site and am looking for some input as I am going to be getting another saw. The last saw I had was a 041 super, the saw I am thinking about getting is either a MS460 or maybe a 660. I would like to run a 30 inch bar as most of the wood I will be cutting is maple, ash, black locust, etc. Most of the wood is 3` to 4` in diameter with some stuff a bit larger included. I will be cutting for my own use, about 10 cords a year as the price of firewood is stupidly high up here in ID, example pine is $150 to $175 a cord. Also which chains would you run on these saw`s. Thanks for your input. Ed

eguinn said:
I am new to this site and am looking for some input as I am going to be getting another saw. The last saw I had was a 041 super, the saw I am thinking about getting is either a MS460 or maybe a 660. I would like to run a 30 inch bar as most of the wood I will be cutting is maple, ash, black locust, etc. Most of the wood is 3` to 4` in diameter with some stuff a bit larger included. I will be cutting for my own use, about 10 cords a year as the price of firewood is stupidly high up here in ID, example pine is $150 to $175 a cord. Also which chains would you run on these saw`s. Thanks for your input. Ed

I can't quite see whether your are saying 3 to 4 INCHES or FEET. If inches, a 460 is overkill and get the 361 with 28 inch bar. If feet, get the 660...

If the wood is clean, use RS (or RSC) chain; if dirty, use RM...

eguinn said:
Thanks, most of the wood is 3 to 4 feet in diameter.

heck, get an 880 :D

Your 660 choice is a good one - put the factory dual port muffer cover, adjust the crab a tad richer, and you'll be a happy cutter...

I think the MS660 would be the best choice it's only about 2lbs more and cost on average 150.00 more but is a lot more saw in the wood... bottom line though either saw is a good deal. You will probably be happy either way.

Don't for get if you want a big gun there are some 3120's that can go cheep on this site... Much cheeper than an new 660 or even an 460.

I am not necessarily looking at a new saw, I will most likely pick up a used one off ebay or maybe off of this site. What is the difference between the 066 and the 660, is there a difference in the mufflers on these saws. Is there a difference in power between the saws, the reason I ask is I know that the EPA has been choking down the power on the newer saws with all of their damn restrictions that they have imposed. I also have understood that the 066's are pre EPA restricted saws, where the 660's have the EPA restrictions imposed on them. Thanks for your time and input guy's. Ed

Here's a great thread on 066 muffers and HP etc...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=26787&highlight=066+muffler

In short, it depends on the age. I have a 2002 (I'd need to check to be sure) 066 that is identical to the MS660 until they changed the gas caps.. (last year?). It has the very restricted muffer as all 066 did since 1998.

EPA and OSHA requirements have increasingly restricted muflers and reduced HP throughout the 90's.. And 066 Magnum in 1995 before any muffler restriction was 7.8hp. Today the MS660 is 7.0. However, if you put on dual port muffler front, which is avalable new from any stihl dealer, adjust your carb, you can make pretty much any of the 066's perform to 7.7hp without any other mods. There are a bunch of different carbs, ignition coils, flywheels and other changes over time so be careful you get what you are looking for.

Lakeside53 said:
...to the MS660 until they changed the gas caps.. (last year?).

....However, if you put on dual port muffler front, which is avalable new from any stihl dealer, adjust your carb, you can make pretty much any of the 066's perform to 7.7hp without any other mods.

7.7! That much. Wow, I woudln't have figured that. Sweet.

And my new 660 I bought two weeks ago still has the old style caps. Have they switched?

fishhuntcutwood said:
7.7! That much. Wow, I wouldn't have figured that. Sweet.

And my new 660 I bought two weeks ago still has the old style caps. Have they switched?

I heard it was supposed to have happened late last year, but I haven't seen any new stock with a date code later then Nov yet. What is your saws date code (it says MD xx.xx)?

If he only cuts firewood, why buy a more expensive one? I cut a heck of alot of trees with a 385, and I don't think that I would be better off with a 394. He is not on a time constraint right?

mike385 said:
If he only cuts firewood, why buy a more expensive one? I cut a heck of alot of trees with a 385, and I don't think that I would be better off with a 394. He is not on a time constraint right?

It's that 3-5 foot wood that drives the answer towards a 660.... I did my share of big wood on smaller saws, and I know what I'd do today (bigger saw).

all I am saying is where is the rush? I cut a huge red oak in a friends driveway that was 61" across the butt, and I did it all with a 039 and a 61 rancher. I may have went faster with a bigger saw but I don't think it would be all that faster.

mike385 said:
all I am saying is where is the rush? I cut a huge red oak in a friends driveway that was 61" across the butt, and I did it all with a 039 and a 61 rancher. I may have went faster with a bigger saw but I don't think it would be all that faster.

I guess you'll never know unless you try one;)

I have cut with most saws except homeys. I have used 066s to split logs that were too big for the mill. The only size that I haven't run is the big ones 3120 and 088. I don't like the stihls because of the carb boot. They can't take abuse. You can say all you want about not abusing but in the real world of logging, it happens. I have also cut alot of firewood too. And I started doing that with super 2 homey, an ok saw just wish they made a good oiler.

eguinn...theres nothing much worse than a saw thats "almost" big enough for the job. Get the o66 or660...put on a dual ported muffler...you'll never be sorry. Yeah,the new ones are pricey but if you can stand it you'll have a saw thats covered by warranty and not have to worry about how a used saw was taken care of,or not,before you got it. Look at cost per year,not initial cost,and the reliability of new machinery. Cutting like you plan on,that saw should last you a good many years. Best of luck.

Back