ms460 or ms441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd buy the 460...

Personally, Its my big saw, so I went the biggest of the 70's.

Now, if I had something bigger, maybe I'd rethink myself to get something thats usable more often, but when the water gets deep I can still bring out the big stick.

Cuz' I hate being without a big enough stick.

The only real gripes I have about the 460 are weight, but it's the same as a 441 for all purposes, and they are THIRSTY!!! Yeah, the filtration isn't the greatest, but I can easily cut all day without having to clean it until I get home. Yeah, it bleeds all over the place, but you know you got lube on the chain! Not sure I would want it for my only saw, but it sure does what it was buil for very well!!!
Can't say anything about the 441, never even picked one up yet!! But just off of specs (Iknow, I know) the 460 has it beat!! I'd be very hard pressed to do without my 460 now, not sure how I did anything without it!!!

Also,,, the 460 will be phased out ala the 440 ine the not to distant future

Was talking to the Regional Stihl Rep last weekend,,,,just a matter of time <1 year most likelyenter the 461,,,, :blob2: :blob2: :popcorn:mn

A thought to ponder I remember the first time I ran a 460 magnum,,,,

They are in a class of there own and

THERE IS NO SUBStitUTE,,,, FOR DISPLACEMENT,,,,, Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think most people would be happier with a 460 because it is stronger for the same weight and would pull a 32 inch bar better.

I would prefer the smoothness of the 441, so each his own. Also I have larger saws already.

How to get by without a 460? It's a great saw, but the 7900 is both smoother in the cut and noticably stronger at all rpms. Even more thirsty though, than the 460.

How well they hold up still remains to be seen, though, as the 460 is a proven workhorse.

Last edited:
I highly recommend you buy the 441, not because it is better but because I want to get that awesome deal on the 460 which is far and away a better saw.:laugh: :laugh:

Buy the 441 you will like it better in the long run.
Also if you were interested in Casey's 441 mod it will be in excellent shape. I ran the 361 mod that he sold to the Rat and it ran great.JMO.:rock:

both

I think most people would be happier with a 460 because it is stronger for the same weight and would pull a 32 inch bar better.

I would prefer the smoothness of the 441, so each his own. Also I have larger saws already.

How to get by without a 460? It's a great saw, but the 7900 is both smoother in the cut and noticably stronger at all rpms. Even more thirsty though, than the 460.

How well they hold up still remains to be seen, though, as the 460 is a proven workhorse.

Or you can have both.:clap: :greenchainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange:

The only aspect of the 460 that scares me is the pawn shop part. Why is a NIB 460 in a pawn shop? It's probably fine, but there'll be no warrantee, no idea where it came from.

But I'll echo what others have said, I'm a big fan of that saw, even though I recently sold mine. The only reason I sold it was because the 660 is getting all the larger work. Fine saw.

But if it were me, I'd do the 441 and deal with a dealer.

Jeff

Back