MS460 Rebuild Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
So I got a free Stihl MS460 that was in rough shape. Long story short, piston/cyl were scored, clutch got way too hot a time or two and melted some things on the clutch and it was filthy. Here's the thread I made when I got it. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229442.htm

After cleaning the cylinder and all the parts I started assembling it today. Nice and clean parts...
IMAG0519_zps200e904d.jpg

Good thing we had some snow because I used it to cool some parts down to assist in assembling the crank, bearings and case halves.
IMAG0531_zpsa19f7447.jpg

Difference between Meteor piston kit's wrist pin and the OEM Stihl wrist pin. Although the Meteor pin is shorter, it's much thicker so it will add a little weight, but I'm not too worried about it.
IMAG0533_zpsfd911c90.jpg

IMAG0532_zpsee896f77.jpg

Here's how far I got. The cylinder is now bolted down, and I hafta run and get a new o-ring for the backside of the oil pump before I can continue.
IMAG0536_zps0921d0ee.jpg

I'll update with more pics as I go...

Ok, so I ended up with a surprise that really sucks but I'll get to that...

So I went looking for an o-ring for behind the oil pump. Hardware didn't have thick enough o-rings so I found a rubber grommet that happens to be perfect.

No grommet.
IMAG0538_zps0a2d937c.jpg

Grommet.
IMAG0539_zpsa4365408.jpg

Oil pump installed.
IMAG0540_zps8dc7de56.jpg

Clutch, brake, and brake assembly installed.
IMAG0541_zpse525f20e.jpg

Gettin there!
IMAG0543_zps3e273422.jpg

Tank/handle assembly installed.
IMAG0544_zps65a9a25b.jpg

Went to clean and rebuild carb and found all this fine stuff. Yikes!
IMAG0548_zps72431b1a.jpg

Ok so exhaust is done, everything is ready for the carb, filter, airbox and she'll be ready to start.
IMAG0547_zps1c28138e.jpg

So I throw the carb on, install throttle linkage, throw the filter on and start to tighten down the filter cover nut and just as it starts to get tight, POP! The dagone casting broke where the stud goes into it.
IMAG0549_zps305a1fac.jpg

I know I didn't crank on it hard so the closer I looked at the broken piece, I could tell it's been cracked for awhile and decided to give away just as I'm throwing the finishing touches on to start it. :msp_mad: You can see along the break where it's dark from dirty getting in the crack and the brighter part of the crack is fresh. Honks me off bad! But if I order parts tomorrow they should be here early next week.
IMAG0550_zps07136a56.jpg

Anyways, I threw the bar and chain on it, and placed the airfilter cover on for some shots for you guys. I absolutely love the way this saw looks. My favorite looking saw by far! Startup vid will have to wait...
IMAG0552_zps52479ee7.jpg

IMAG0553_zps86728246.jpg

My wife and I had Mexican food for supper so I wasn't really feeling an American Lager to follow it up but I didn't have any XX. Almost done with that case of beer and will probably get some PBR next time around. :rock:

Nothing better than a day well spent working on a saw, drinkin some beer and listening to some Bury Your Dead. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ok so bad luck comes in a series of 3 things.

1. Broke the air filter stud last night. Stihl dealership 1 hour away had one in stock so I ran and got it today and put it on.

2. Locked the keys in my Jeep at the gas station today. Clothes hanger got me back in.

3. Went to start the 460 up today and on the 4th pull the rope pulled outta the recoil assembly. It's a used OEM assembly off ebay, but I didn't check to see how the rope was attached before installing it. Looks like the guy I bought it from on ebay rewound it and melted the end of the rope in the spool and it failed. I tried tying an overhand knot in it like the manual states and is how all my other saws are. But this rope is too big of diameter and the knot won't fit inside the spool and it gets caught on the flywheel and won't let the spring coil the rope back up. This rope is black and blue, all my other saws have white and orange rope. Is all OEM Stihl rope White and Orange?

Signed,
Not very happy.

Ok so bad luck comes in a series of 3 things.

1. Broke the air filter stud last night. Stihl dealership 1 hour away had one in stock so I ran and got it today and put it on.

2. Locked the keys in my Jeep at the gas station today. Clothes hanger got me back in.

3. Went to start the 460 up today and on the 4th pull the rope pulled outta the recoil assembly. It's a used OEM assembly off ebay, but I didn't check to see how the rope was attached before installing it. Looks like the guy I bought it from on ebay rewound it and melted the end of the rope in the spool and it failed. I tried tying an overhand knot in it like the manual states and is how all my other saws are. But this rope is too big of diameter and the knot won't fit inside the spool and it gets caught on the flywheel and won't let the spring coil the rope back up. This rope is black and blue, all my other saws have white and orange rope. Is all OEM Stihl rope White and Orange?

Signed,
Not very happy.

That or White and red or like that yes.

That or White and red or like that yes.

Great, thanks. I've never had one break on me so I might as well order a few lengths of it to carry with me in the field. Going BACK to the Stihl dealership after work in the morning. Luckily it's less than 3 miles from my house.

Got everything straightened out with the pull starter today, but couldn't get the carb to prime. Dropped some fuel in the spark plug hole and still no go. I reset the gap between the coil and flywheel and it fired after a bit of pulling. After a quick tune to get it to idle and rev a bit, here's where she's at until I get some time to put it in wood and tune it.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb24%2Fmud_dog450%2FVIDEO0028-0_zps136165e6.mp4">

Got everything straightened out with the pull starter today, but couldn't get the carb to prime. Dropped some fuel in the spark plug hole and still no go. I reset the gap between the coil and flywheel and it fired after a bit of pulling. After a quick tune to get it to idle and rev a bit, here's where she's at until I get some time to put it in wood and tune it.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb24%2Fmud_dog450%2FVIDEO0028-0_zps136165e6.mp4">

Is it idling a little low?

Is it idling a little low?

Very well could be. I haven't put the tach on it yet, just kinda rough tuned it so it would start and idle.

This thing has more compression than my 088. More than any saw I've ever ran actually. I put the cyl back on with the steel base gasket so I didn't lower the squish at all (didn't check it either).

Oh, and I haven't tallied up all of my receipts yet, but I'm in the ballpark of $300 in this saw.

Last edited:
Back