MS460..stock bore, big bore or popup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
every 460 with an aftermarket Chinese jug on is exactly what I said gutless .
you miss read my previous post I didn't say the 460 was like a 60 cc saw I said a 460 with an aftermarket top end is like a 60 cc saw gutless compared to an OEM 460 top end

One would infer from the first quote "to start with" means an OEM setup and "can't afford to lose any" means from aftermarket parts.

"a 460 does not have a lot of power to start with and can't afford to lose any"

"They're just a firewood saw good with a 20 inch bar"

Didn't make much sense since a 460 is plenty powerful, and considered a large saw in many areas. That's why I asked "compared to?"

Compared to a 100+ cc saw, sure, but the areas where saws that size are needed are fairly limited.

I've put aftermarket cylinders on a number of saws, if there was a power loss, it wasn't enough to notice with the "butt dyno".

Won't argue OEM is better, but it came down to spend $100 on aftermarket or toss the saw.

My apologies I actually do keep forgetting how soft American wood is here in Australia a 460 or a 372 husky is about where you start with the firewood saw with the 20 inch bar if you want to run 24 or larger it's 660 or 390 395 territory unless you've got all day to do your work .
I actually started working firewood here with a 262 XP many years ago best it could manage was an 18-inch bar and I muddled my way along with that saw until I could afford to upgrade into larger saws and that was a very hard few years especially when the blokes you are working with are running 460 and 660 very frustrating times .
All the pro cutters around here are running 75 cc's to 95 CC's and .404 chain.

Most of what i see is Pine, Oak, Cedar, Pecan...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My apologies I actually do keep forgetting how soft American wood is here in Australia a 460 or a 372 husky is about where you start with the firewood saw with the 20 inch bar if you want to run 24 or larger it's 660 or 390 395 territory unless you've got all day to do your work .
I actually started working firewood here with a 262 XP many years ago best it could manage was an 18-inch bar and I muddled my way along with that saw until I could afford to upgrade into larger saws and that was a very hard few years especially when the blokes you are working with are running 460 and 660 very frustrating times .

Most of us here in USA are ignorant of Australian trees. I'll never get there.

In the eastern USA we have pines and hardwoods. Hardwood is dry locust or osage.

It might be a good thread to tell us about what you guys cut, and how. I know Stihl makes special stuff for your market, oilers/filters. WE use those

To OP, if your P/C craps out again, I might have a 046 power head? It's filthy but I've checked P/C via ex.

Anyway free turning looks good via ex port, 046. Interested I'll pull jug and take pictures. I might still keep it? If it's real good..........but I've got an 064......

Makes sense. I know when I was looking at firewood processors, there were a model or two that advertised as being setup for Australia. (Multitek maybe? It's been a while)

I remember it, because I didn't realize till then Australia had woods in any significant amounts, nor much of a neat for wood heat.
Always hear about the deserts and it being very hot.

Makes sense. I know when I was looking at firewood processors, there were a model or two that advertised as being setup for Australia. (Multitek maybe? It's been a while)

I remember it, because I didn't realize till then Australia had woods in any significant amounts, nor much of a neat for wood heat.
No thrill like discovery.

We got plenty of bush over here its just around the edge of the country .
This is my son cutting the limbs on a eucalyptus ribbon gum.
Screenshot_20201007-215805_Gallery.jpg
And around here you got to be careful when you put your hard hat back on
Screenshot_20201007-215640_Gallery.jpg
This is a good-sized stringy bark we class as kind of soft but as a lot harder than oak
Screenshot_20201007-215618_Gallery.jpg
And this is us on a typical Saturday or Sunday afternoon
Screenshot_20201007-215857_Gallery.jpg

New piston and rings came in, i had the saw mostly assembled minus the top end. I got it put together, checked squish at the wrist pin and got .020 " on both sides with a gasket delete and motoseal. Added fresh fuel, pushed decomp...pulled it thru slow a couple times...then once hard and it popped the decomp. Pushed it back in, choke off...pulled again and it tried. Turned off the high idle..pulled again and it was idling nice and smooth. I removed the internal baffle from the muffler already and a dual port cover is on its way. Idled it a bit, gave it a few pulls...very responsive. My new rim isnt in yet so i couldn't put the new bar and chain on but...soon.

New piston and rings came in, i had the saw mostly assembled minus the top end. I got it put together, checked squish at the wrist pin and got .020 " on both sides with a gasket delete and motoseal. Added fresh fuel, pushed decomp...pulled it thru slow a couple times...then once hard and it popped the decomp. Pushed it back in, choke off...pulled again and it tried. Turned off the high idle..pulled again and it was idling nice and smooth. I removed the internal baffle from the muffler already and a dual port cover is on its way. Idled it a bit, gave it a few pulls...very responsive. My new rim isnt in yet so i couldn't put the new bar and chain on but...soon.

Great luck and happy cutting!!!!:clap:

Now to find some wood. Put an 8 pin on it to try...also have a 7 pin for it. The dual port from Hyway is nice, main port is 3x as big in addition to the front slot.
edefd5c42416ff0a164d41cc339e4288.jpg
e09b08650572ed23046d34f817aa1932.jpg
866cb22f72f6c39f125921e9f91151da.jpg
1e19251d7f3d78ed595c5646c547c225.jpg
24ed54cbca3ac359308f02e899fadc3d.jpg

Good to see and good luck with it but I think and 8 pin on that would be a 20 inch bar proposition

Good to see and good luck with it but I think and 8 pin on that would be a 20 inch bar proposition
Ive got 7s, and a 20" bar and chain. Its pretty strong though, going to try and advance the timing some tomorrow.

This post is so old, but did someone actually say an MS460 don’t have much power to begin with?
Pulling a 20” bar to boot?
Yikes.

Yes- they did, but if you take the time to read the entire thread, the reasoning behind that statement is addressed in full, along with an apology from the poster in question saying how he forgets wood in the States is not as hard as a cutter might find in Australia.
For him and his species of choice for firewood- the 460 lacks power, for someone cutting wide growth ring spaced softwoods- slap a 32 B&C full comp chisel on it and cut 30 inch rounds all day with plenty of power.

Back