Big bore VS OEM on MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichMich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

In the idea of improve my chinese MS460 (Farmertec), I installed a Big Bore kit, but am not that satisfied, so I'm seriously thinking on replacing it by an OEM P+C kit.

That machine has already been upgraded with a bunch of OEM parts (complete tank assy, flywheel, oiler, brake assy, ignition coil, recoil starter and clutch cover), and some other (plastic covers and clutch) are on their way.

Speaking of upgrades, I was in the reflexion of keeping the Farmertec crankcase and crankshaft, or swap them with OEM (OEM crankcase costs 250€ here in France, and crankshaft more than 400€...)

Thanks for any input!

Thanks for welcoming me!

So I had a good idea for willing to order an OEM top end? Cool!

What about the lower end? If I do, it will then become a full Stihl machine, what would then happen, since there's no serial on it?

Hum, how do you edit previous messages?

I tagged the 460 today, and I got ~3000rpm on idle, and max 5400rpm at full throttle, so I guess carb needs some tuning

also just ordered a brand new OEM top end on eBay (in Australia) for 260€, pretty good deal!

Thanks for welcoming me!

So I had a good idea for willing to order an OEM top end? Cool!

What about the lower end? If I do, it will then become a full Stihl machine, what would then happen, since there's no serial on it?
For sure.
Not sure what you mean what would happen? The stihl 460 is a very reliable and durable saw.
I'm pretty anti Chinese AM parts, that's not a political statement(I've had that opinion since the mid 90's), but rather one about quality and principles.

Ok, will progressively replace the remaining Farmertec parts (crankcase and crankshaft)
If you already have them I'd just get the carb set properly, and run the heck out of it.
Besides people need to make up their own minds on what works best for them, I like to say, "what works for one doesn't always work for everyone".

I have a complete Chinese 372XP here that has had the big bore kit fitted and ported. It has been worked hard in hardwood for almost 10 years. It has not missed a beat in all that time. Still running the Chinese carb. You wouldnt know you are not running a genuine Husky. I find the likes of the A/M crank to survive this long after what it has been through as remarkable. Each to their own.

I have a complete Chinese 372XP here that has had the big bore kit fitted and ported. It has been worked hard in hardwood for almost 10 years. It has not missed a beat in all that time. Still running the Chinese carb. You wouldnt know you are not running a genuine Husky. I find the likes of the A/M crank to survive this long after what it has been through as remarkable. Each to their own.
The a.m. 372 cranks seem to outlast the am stihl cranks by quite a bit. But I think it’s still a crapshoot either way. Some are good and some don’t last long at all

thanks for the inputs mates, will keep the crankcase and crankshaft until I'll sufficient funds to replace them with OEM ones

But, since it's gonna be some kind of a new build MS460, will have I to see with my dealer to put a serial number on it?

AM in general, or Chinese AM?
I thought the meteor/Italian ones were fine.
I thought all of it was Chinese now, with everything fromTecomec being on clearance. Meteor pistons are fine, but cylinder casting is still hit or miss. Never seen a Meteor cylinder that ran as well as oem

I thought all of it was Chinese now, with everything fromTecomec being on clearance. Meteor pistons are fine, but cylinder casting is still hit or miss. Never seen a Meteor cylinder that ran as well as oem
I wasn't aware of that, if that's the case, all the more reason to use OE parts.
But I've seen a number of meteor cylinders run great after a little grinding, most all the Chinese cylinders I've seen looked terrible.
I guess it depends on which side of the Taiwan independence debate you fall on...
Well if you read what's on paper they're independent, ask the people it's a different story :rare2:.

Latest posts

Back