Finally Found a Reasonably Price 064 - Now What???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still haven't cut with mine, either. I did get a dual port muffler cover for it, new OEM HD air filter/pre-filter, a new set of OEM dogs (was missing one), the larger sized clutch cover (OEM), a new OEM 3/4 wrap handle -- had to order from Outbushman in OZ -- to replace the reproduction half wrap that's on it, and a few other odds and ends.

@bulletpruf nice find on the 064. My uncle bought one new in 87 and it's still kicking. I milled with it a couple of years ago before I got my Johsered 920 (and then replaced the 920 with an 066). For a long time, the 064 was the biggest saw we had among our large family's saw inventory (my dad is one of 12 kids. I'm one of 43 grandkids...firewood season is always a party). I think your initial lists sounded good. I'm personally of the opinion that it's easier to fix something in the garage when I have time, than out in the woods when work needs to get done. Especially if it's an item that could easily damage the saw (thinking seals and air leak surging here). I have a similar list for my 066 planned after this season of milling (the isolators are almost on their last legs...almost). A couple of weekends ago we ran the 066 next to the 064 and an 046 I recently rebuilt from a carcass. I thought the 064 was the best of both worlds (power/weight) before. And running the three together just drove that point home further. It's a great saw (though I'm still pretty tickled with how the 046 turned out).

As to mods, did you end up going with an aftermarket muffler cover for the dual port? Curious about which one you got, and what your thoughts on it are (considering doing the same with my 066). I know some will disagree on OEM vs Aftermarket. But I don't really have religion on it. Priority items, sure. Makes complete sense. But when it comes to a bit of plastic or sheet metal...I'm a pragmatist. If your going to chop up the muffler anyway why waste an OEM? Just my opinion. The Hyway dual port I got from Wolf Creek for the 046 has done just fine, and that is what I've been thinking for the 066 when it gets overhauled. I think you made the right choice getting the OEM handle and tank (good find BTW). My 046 came with an MS460 handle/tank and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an original OEM 046 one without the flippy cap.

Hope you were able to get the 064 tuned up and running. Let us know how it turned out.

@bulletpruf nice find on the 064. My uncle bought one new in 87 and it's still kicking. I milled with it a couple of years ago before I got my Johsered 920 (and then replaced the 920 with an 066). For a long time, the 064 was the biggest saw we had among our large family's saw inventory (my dad is one of 12 kids. I'm one of 43 grandkids...firewood season is always a party). I think your initial lists sounded good. I'm personally of the opinion that it's easier to fix something in the garage when I have time, than out in the woods when work needs to get done. Especially if it's an item that could easily damage the saw (thinking seals and air leak surging here). I have a similar list for my 066 planned after this season of milling (the isolators are almost on their last legs...almost). A couple of weekends ago we ran the 066 next to the 064 and an 046 I recently rebuilt from a carcass. I thought the 064 was the best of both worlds (power/weight) before. And running the three together just drove that point home further. It's a great saw (though I'm still pretty tickled with how the 046 turned out).

As to mods, did you end up going with an aftermarket muffler cover for the dual port? Curious about which one you got, and what your thoughts on it are (considering doing the same with my 066). I know some will disagree on OEM vs Aftermarket. But I don't really have religion on it. Priority items, sure. Makes complete sense. But when it comes to a bit of plastic or sheet metal...I'm a pragmatist. If your going to chop up the muffler anyway why waste an OEM? Just my opinion. The Hyway dual port I got from Wolf Creek for the 046 has done just fine, and that is what I've been thinking for the 066 when it gets overhauled. I think you made the right choice getting the OEM handle and tank (good find BTW). My 046 came with an MS460 handle/tank and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an original OEM 046 one without the flippy cap.

Hope you were able to get the 064 tuned up and running. Let us know how it turned out.

Well, I haven't touched it yet. I'm busy kicking larger alligators away from my feet at this point -- my '87 crew cab 4x4 diesel dually project is taking up all my time. Next up is an 075 that I need to freshen up and sell to fund the dually build and then I'll get going on the 064. Thanks

I had three 056 mag 2s. Those are pretty hard to start, esp for a little guy such as me.

I've had a few of those, but the worst starting saw that I've ever had was the Stihl Contra S - that's 137cc and no decomp. I'm a big dude at 6'4" and 235 but I still have to pull that cord like I mean it!

Latest posts

Back