Big bore VS OEM on MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, a wile back my uncle bought a ms290, and a cheap, cheap, top end. Like $25.00 ebay wait 4 months to show up. I told him it wouldnt last. That's about 4 years ago now and it still runs. Hes happy with it. Some times it works out.

Agree. Got a MS381 I bought off aliexpress, starts and runs better than the Farmertec MS460 (and my OEM MS461 atm, have trouble adjusting the carb). Have had lots of trouble with the MLC or the carb, not sure. Always have a hard point when engaging full choke. Ordered OEM filter base and MLC, will see.
While MS381 is quite easy to start (not as easy of OEM MS461), that MS460 definitely can't start without using the decomp valve (461 starts without). 460 also actually has a Elastostart knockoff installed (got an OEM recoil starter assembly along with a cover on their way from Australia since quite a while now, almost 2 months) and 461 has a genuine one, as well as the 381.

But now the 460 starts well, but needs a High speed tune, runs at around 5400rpm (low speed is OK with around 3000rpm). Am guessing that the OEM top end will helps.

BTW, my local dealer told me that my 461 cylinder was quite strange. Looks like they never saw one with the Stihl logo instead of the Mahle one. Strange, isn't it?

Back