MS460: What next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my $5.00 MS460 back from the dealer today. We ended up using oem power cylinder, crank seals, and a gasket, and a new fuel filter and plug, plus 2 hours of labor, which I thought was reasonable.

The saw started on the second pull when I got home, which is better than any of my other saws. Well, I guess my little Echo CS310 does that too.

Now if only it would stop raining for a while the mosquito population will go into remission and I can get out to the woods to try it out.

Makes my Husky 55 Rancher, Poulan 3800, and Stihl 029 Super seem like toys, but the weight still seems manageable for an old guy like me.

$300 may be list but last week I was quoted 1128 020 1221 $210. I get alittle off. Also I found 660 and 066 kits are different #s 1122 020 1205 for 066 and 1122 020 1211 for 660 both at $225. Piston kits are the same 1122 030 2005 at $45. The 046/460 piston kit 1128 030 2009 (this # may be a typeo ) $45. Ken

Enjoy that saw. Can I ask what the damage was???
Cylinder w/ piston (Stihl) was $238.95. It's a local dealer, and I don't think he gave me a break on parts. It was quite a bit more than the $79-$141 for aftermarket ps parts off the internet, but it was better than Bailey's (Stihl parts), if I remember correctly.

Labor was $60/hr X 2 hrs, which included the pressure check / diagnostics and replacing the seals and power cylinder. All in all, I have just under $400.00 in it, plus Mi sales tax.

Not the cheapest saw I have, despite the $5.00 acquisition cost, but I would have never bought a running but unknown saw off of a stranger for what my total investment is.

Did you ask for the old cylinder? They will likely just toss it, but it may be salvageable by someone on this site, and 460 cylinders are sought after (they can be used to make the 440/460 hybrid).
It's sitting on my workbench. Someone pm'd me about it, but I haven't heard back. Doesn't look good to me, but who knows. I'll send pictures to anyone who wants it (hope that doesn't open a can of worms).

Looks like the saw has an electrically heated handle too.

One thing I came up with is that the chain tensioner is near, or at the end of its travel, something I never had on other saws. The chain (20"bar) has 72 links. I assume that a combination of chain stretch and sprocket wear have resulted in not much more available ajustment, yet the sprocket, which does show some wear, isn't extreme. Is there something I'm missing here? I don't want to be cutting and throw a chain because of inadequate tension. Normally I run out of cutting teeth from resharpening before I ever get this far in the available ajustment.

I'll guess I can try a new chain tomorrow, as it looks like a common 30RC72, and I have several NIB in the cabinet, purchased for other saws.

20150624_165514%20Jug1.jpg

It's a Sthil bar. The only time I ran into this on another saw, it was because the roller / bearing at the tip was worn out, probably because I had to cut up a tree that had fallen into the lake in front of the dock.

I'll disassemble the tensioner partially to make sure there is no debris limiting travel, but it did look ok last night.

Mike, where can I sign up for that $200 top end? I got a tore up 460 here that needs a top end and the dealer quoted me $300 just a couple weeks back.
My dealer quoted me something like $218 for one. He may have misquoted but I'll check in a day or two when I go pick up some 044 parts. There was some p/c kits for the older stuff under $100.

It is interesting how Stihl dealer prices are all over the map. I get huge price differences just between the two dealers near me, but neither one is consistently less than the other. I really can't figure it out. For example, one sells chains for less than the other, but the other one has bars for less??????

It would make more sense if one just had more mark up than the other.

It's sitting on my workbench. Someone pm'd me about it, but I haven't heard back. Doesn't look good to me, but who knows. I'll send pictures to anyone who wants it (hope that doesn't open a can of worms).

Looks like the saw has an electrically heated handle too.

One thing I came up with is that the chain tensioner is near, or at the end of its travel, something I never had on other saws. The chain (20"bar) has 72 links. I assume that a combination of chain stretch and sprocket wear have resulted in not much more available ajustment, yet the sprocket, which does show some wear, isn't extreme. Is there something I'm missing here? I don't want to be cutting and throw a chain because of inadequate tension. Normally I run out of cutting teeth from resharpening before I ever get this far in the available ajustment.

I'll guess I can try a new chain tomorrow, as it looks like a common 30RC72, and I have several NIB in the cabinet, purchased for other saws.

I might be interested in the cylinder, I sent you a PM back on June 16th but never heard anything back, maybe with the ups & downs on this site it didn't come threw. Send me some pics, please.

It is interesting how Stihl dealer prices are all over the map. I get huge price differences just between the two dealers near me, but neither one is consistently less than the other. I really can't figure it out. For example, one sells chains for less than the other, but the other one has bars for less??????

It would make more sense if one just had more mark up than the other.

Same here sir. Its crazy the price differences. I have not had any dealer quote me prices on cylinder kits like have been quoted here. I need to be buying from some of these guys!

Back