MS660 ignition problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rick,
No, with Christmas and all that goes with it so near, I hadn't had the opportunity to get back to it. I used the 361 I bought for pennies to cut up some more for my wife. (That thing is a screamer!) So the 660 has been just sitting there for the last few days. I'm itching to get it going, but the kids come first, of course. After church and all the family time today, I hope to get a look at it in the morning. I will of course post what happens with it. Hope you and yours are having a great Christmas and thanks again for your help with this thing!!!!
Don

Hey Rick,
No, with Christmas and all that goes with it so near, I hadn't had the opportunity to get back to it. I used the 361 I bought for pennies to cut up some more for my wife. (That thing is a screamer!) So the 660 has been just sitting there for the last few days. I'm itching to get it going, but the kids come first, of course. After church and all the family time today, I hope to get a look at it in the morning. I will of course post what happens with it. Hope you and yours are having a great Christmas and thanks again for your help with this thing!!!!
Don

The members that have given their time to try and help you with your problem might appreciate a reply with a conclusion as you had promised would be forthcoming over a year ago.

Please let us all know how things have turned out.

You never know, your information and feedback may help others who may benefit from similar issues in the future.

my 660 did the same thing when I first got it,check the three, comp,fuel and spark,it turned out to be the plug,but when testing for spark you gotta ground the plug otherwise you can pull for a month of sundays and there won't be any:)

The members that have given their time to try and help you with your problem might appreciate a reply with a conclusion as you had promised would be forthcoming over a year ago.

Please let us all know how things have turned out.

You never know, your information and feedback may help others who may benefit from similar issues in the future.

Yes, you are right, after I found the true problem I completely forgot to post it. I had been communicating with another member via private messages getting some diagnostic advice and just didn't think about posting on the overall forum. That being said, my apologies to all who originally contributed. The problem with mine wound up not being ignition related at all. What had initially fooled me in that direction was that I had apparently not grounded the plug effectively when I was checking for spark at first, and was getting nothing. It really threw me. As this was one of my first Stihls, and they are so expensive to begin with, I was a bit reluctant to just tear into it, particularly since I wasn't so well versed with 2 strokes. But out of frustration, I finally tore it to pieces and discovered that the rings had seized into their grooves on the piston on the exhaust side. Very little compression of course. When the saw first quit, it appeared to have compression, but obviously not nearly enough. I wound up getting an OEM piston from the local dealer. The jug was not scored at all, just a bit of transfer from the piston itself I suppose. Cleaned it up with muratic, polished it up a little with some 400 grit and water, put it all back together and it runs like a new one. To this day, I cannot figure why it did this. I personally mixed the fresh fuel on the day it did this with Stihl ultra and premium gas, to the exact specs. on the bottle. I even make it a tad rich, just to be safe. All else on the saw was and is almost new, so no issues with the usual suspects - fuel line, impulse line, intake boot. The guy who was advising me on the trouble shooting thought that possibly I did not shake the can of fuel up sufficiently to mix it well, but I just can't really buy that. Although I did not shake it up like a milk shake, I have never done that and have never had a problem like this. I've run lesser saws all my life and have never had to be a chemist when it came to mixing the fuel. But I could offer no other reason and it's fine now, so I just don't know. Anyway, after a month of checking this and that and going over everything 3 or 4 times, it wound up being a straight mechanical problem instead of electrical. I have gone on to buy several others, both large and small (All Stihls) that people have straight gassed and seized up and have fixed every one and come out with very nice saws that are as new, with minimal cash outlay and only a little time to take them apart and put them back together...so that's about it. Again, apologies to all for not posting the solution as promised, I just flat out didn't think about it again after I got it going. Thanks Anile8 for reminding me to conclude it!

Latest posts

Back