Ms661c any owner ever have this happen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junglejohnny28

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today I’m using my 661c on some 36” trees , out of the blue the saw jumps up to like 15-16k rpm’s and doesn’t wantvto drop to idle all the way . I shut saw off , restart seems a little more rev happy put it in wood cutting fine , then 16k rev up and not return to idle !! Any thought . I believe something with mtronic , any help is much appriciated .saw is like new . But has a few hours on it .

Today I’m using my 661c on some 36” trees , out of the blue the saw jumps up to like 15-16k rpm’s and doesn’t wantvto drop to idle all the way . I shut saw off , restart seems a little more rev happy put it in wood cutting fine , then 16k rev up and not return to idle !! Any thought . I believe something with mtronic , any help is much appriciated .saw is like new . But has a few hours on it .
Out of gas? All saws reve up for a few seconds when the tank is about empty.
I doubt it got to 16k, however.

Nop
Out of gas? All saws reve up for a few seconds when the tank is about empty.
I doubt it got to 16k, however.
Nope 3/4 full
Don’t run the saw again until you do a vacuum/pressure test. If your not able to do it yourself find someone who can or have a local saw shop do it. Pull the muffler and check the piston for scoring.
piston not scored , will have vac test done

If you know how to remove the carb, you could remove that first. Look behind it and there will be a rubber intake boot. Check it for cracks or holes. Check all of the lines (fuel line and impulse line) for Cracks aswell. You don’t necessarily need a pressure/vac test for this part - just inspect them, bend them about and even blow through the pipes with your mouth with a finger blocking the other end.

If this all looks good, then the crankcase area needs testing.

If you know how to remove the carb, you could remove that first. Look behind it and there will be a rubber intake boot. Check it for cracks or holes. Check all of the lines (fuel line and impulse line) for Cracks aswell. You don’t necessarily need a pressure/vac test for this part - just inspect them, bend them about and even blow through the pipes with your mouth with a finger blocking the other end.

If this all looks good, then the crankcase area needs testing.
That what it was ty

Latest posts

Back