MS780/880 difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly not going to be a lot of help to be had here- the 780 was never allowed into the UK/European, Australian/NZ or US markets.
I am guessing for non compliance to EPA rulings or equivalent in other markets.
Made in Brazil and more popular in African and South American markets- MAY have timing/compression differences in the cylinders as well as the differing carbs- to make it easier for the saw to run on low grade/low octane fuel.
Same CC rating as the 880 but nearly 1HP down on the 880- according to some paper specs.

Just a one-horsepower difference. Both are exceptional saws for big wood and are very popular on the African Market. Is the 780 still on the South American market?
Here in argentina, stihl dealers offers the 780, made in germany.
Same cylinder, crank, piston and base gasket than 880. I doubt about a difference in compression.

I haven't tried it yet, but this is my setup for milling with the 780
How has it worked for you, done any milling yet? I got a 780 about five years ago in Mexico I've milled with a fair bit, mostly with a 42" bar. Never run an 880 so don't know how they compare. I've always wondered where the one less rated hp comes from, Routinely people guess it's the carb as it's the only difference, but comparing parts diagrams the original WG-11 in it is exactly the same as the WG-12, which was an 088 and first generation 880 carb and the 088 was rated at 8.5hp vs the second generation 880 at 8.7hp. Don't think it was any way detuned for poor Third World gas quality so much as going with a simpler carb than the Tillotson. I thought the lower hp rating was maybe because they were tuned a little more for torque even than the 880, but no idea about that. Stihl has never explained the difference. I can't imagine Stihl making a saw that was actually weaker for markets with less emissions standards, it's always the other way around. Maybe they just needed to rate it under 8hp for the markets they were selling in and there's actually almost no difference at all in performance? It is the second generation 880 in every other way - flywheel, ignition, cylinder, piston, etc - with just the first generation carb. I've read of some people switching out the Walbro for the Tillotson on their 780's and preferring the Tillotson, but I'm not sure that's any more than brand preference.

No the carburetors are not the same. The fixed jet is different. .66mm on the WG-11 and .88 on the WG-12.:yes:
Thank you! It's specific info like this I've found impossible to find. There's almost zero mention of the existence of the WG-11 on the internet, so all I could do is compare parts diagrams which appeared to match up identical. But good to know the subtle differences in design. So just going to a WG-12 should open the 780 up to more or less the same kind of 880 power as the Tillotson HT-12? (Though if I was to upgrade it would probably be to the Tillotson.) Have been complacent about it being good enough to date, but now very curious about how much an HT-12 carb tuned to a dual port exhaust, and a 361 ignition would turn it into a new level of beast.

No the carburetors are not the same. The fixed jet is different. .66mm on the WG-11 and .88 on the WG-12.:yes:
Is there any difference between the Wg-12 and Wg-13? Both the HT-12 and WG-12 are pricey ($139+) but I would like to get OEM and found a new WG-13 for way less. And while I have knowledgeable people here, can anyone explain the performance obsession with putting a non-rev limited ignition on an 880. I may be wrong but it was my understanding the limiters don't kick in til 11500 rpm or so. You just can't run it up to 13000 like some saws. But buried in wood, particularly milling, you're rarely spinning above 10000 and max power of the 880 is developed at 8500 rpm. What possible advantage in real world use does not being rev limited give you?

You have to go to your dealer with the serial no. of the saw and he can tell you which carburetor you can use. There were many changes during the production of the MS 880 and also model upgrades. You can`t just buy a carburetor, high chance that it will not work. That`s why I say go to your dealer.

Latest posts

Back