Flat files all the same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk23

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, are the flat files sold for filing rakers special or different than any other flat file? I was told by a hardware store employee that there’s no difference but I’ve heard otherwise.

Thanks

Hi, are the flat files sold for filing rakers special or different than any other flat file? I was told by a hardware store employee that there’s no difference but I’ve heard otherwise.

Thanks
I use any flat file as long as its the right shape. Ive used hardware store ones (from here in the UK) and the special chainsaw ones.

It needs to be narrow enough to fit between two teeth. I prefer a two sided file that has smooth edges and ideally slightly rounded edges. This is kinder on the metal (if you slip), your fingers or the raker guide (if you are someone that files over it).

I'm sure there could be other things to consider (soft versus hard metal etc) but Ive never really noticed any difference. Ive used lots of types of files in a pinch - the edge of a big bastard file, a triangular saw file, you can even make a round file work.

What @muddy42 said. Any file of a suitable size, hardness, and tooth could be used (I sometimes use a grinder).

The files sold for this purpose are called ‘safe’ files: the edges are smooth and rounded to protect the tooth cutting edges, in case of accidental contact.
IMG_4992.jpeg

Philbert

A regular flat file with the edges ran through the bench grinder a few times becomes a good safe file., I bought a box of 50 back in the early 70`s., they had fille teeth on the edges until I ran them through across bench grinder.

I like the trick about the grinder.

I would love to buy in bulk, however I cant seem to keep small files for more than a year or two because of the wet climate here!

I like the trick about the grinder.

I would love to buy in bulk, however I cant seem to keep small files for more than a year or two because of the wet climate here!
The shop I was working in at that time I could buy files by the dozen or the case, I just bought out all the remaining Nicholson files that were in the drawer, they were something around $2.75 @ at that time. Same for chain files, I bought up all they had and am still using from that lot. I keep them in a heated room where moisture is not a problem.

A regular flat file with the edges ran through the bench grinder a few times becomes a good safe file., I bought a box of 50 back in the early 70`s., they had fille teeth on the edges until I ran them through across bench grinder.
I normally use a file with a raker gauge so hitting the tooth isn’t a concern. Are you guys not using a gauge?

I normally use a file with a raker gauge so hitting the tooth isn’t a concern. Are you guys not using a gauge?
If you file on a soft metal depth gauge tool, you will file it away.

If the depth gauge tool is hardened, it is harder on the file.

So, I use the tool to check the height; take a stroke or two; re-check; etc.

Some guys tilt the tool up to protect the cutter teeth. One guy here, posted a long time ago, that he uses an old teaspoon to protect his cutters.

Or, just be careful.

Philbert

There is like teeth per inch probably like other rules 3 teeth in contact at a time. The angle of the serrations seems the same as a flat file of similar coarseness. I have a square file maybe 0.4" by 9" long seems real similar results and I do use the gauge when filing. I kind of like new chains but do depth gauge filing sometimes.

When I work on guns, I sometimes use the cheapest files I can find. They don’t remove hardly any metal per stroke.

I see, I file with the gauge, I’m certainly wearing it down but I haven’t had a problem yet.
Not all depth gauge tools sit on the cutters with a dropped area for the possible use of a file, there are others known to guys that are much more fussy about setting the depth gauges up for racing chains, these gauges have adjustable measuring capabilities.

I forget who makes them but I have a high quality file for filing caliper brackets and it will cut the rakers with one pass and has served me well, might be a keups brand but I don’t feel like going out to my box to check.

I use files frequently in my metal working hobby. Nicolson files have been made offshore for quite a while now and are nothing like they used to be. I stocked up on NOS US made files from ebay a while back. my preference for old US made files is Simonds, but their new stuff is made offshore now too. not much made in the USA anymore.

I do like pinoreerguy and take a flat bastard file and make it a safe file.

I also have files that I've made safe on the other edges for other purposes.

I keep my safe files listed as such separate from my others.

I also wrap my files in oiled paper so as to keep from rusting and to keep them from rubbing/filing against each other.

Latest posts

Back