MS880 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbusta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Are you having to really crank on the powerhead while you're grinding stumps with the Alpine?

Most intake boots fail due to being stretched out while the saw is running.

i am going to put my 2 cents in even though i don't know crap,,, i have seen the same thing in the automotive industry since i am a retired mechanic,,,, tightening the clamp to tight is what i suspect

Allmost looks as the boot clamp is ripping it

i am going to put my 2 cents in even though i don't know crap,,, i have seen the same thing in the automotive industry since i am a retired mechanic,,,, tightening the clamp to tight is what i suspect

That's why I think he's reefing on the powerhead. I've never seen a boot failure like that in the 084 or 088, and they use the same intake boot.

That's why I think he's reefing on the powerhead. I've never seen a boot failure like that in the 084 or 088, and they use the same intake boot.

I've never picked up an MS880. How flexible are the AVs on these saws? Is that being ripped or cut?

278566d1360549494-image-jpg

I've never picked up an MS880. How flexible are the AVs on these saws? Is that being ripped or cut?

How hard or soft the AV is depends on the market the saw is being sold in. My point is, the Alpine stump grinder is a portable stump grinder, that the chainsaw powerhead mounts on to, and serves as part of the main control point for the stump grinder. Anyone whose ever ground stumps knows what kind of work this is. Guys I've talked to like the Stihl 075/076 the best for the Alpine Magnum stump grinder because those saws can take an incredible amount of abuse and they have the desirable torque band for stump grinding.

Yanking it out of a pinch. I would think the way the saw reacts the second the leak occurs, should make the operator stop running it, especially after the first failure.

The problem when having staff your never certain what's happening in the field.

We have replaced several av mounts and one was ripped when rebuilt.

We have added stiffer av mounts and discussed operating procedure.

They have tended to cut / rip under the hose clamp.

The reason I posted was to see if this is a common issue thanks for your replies.

The problem when having staff your never certain what's happening in the field.

We have replaced several av mounts and one was ripped when rebuilt.

We have added stiffer av mounts and discussed operating procedure.

They have tended to cut / rip under the hose clamp.

The reason I posted was to see if this is a common issue thanks for your replies.

I would try a common pipe clamp about the same diameter. They're wider and that would increase the surface area for pressure on the boot.

Wow those things look like a PITA to operate. Seems like it would be very hard on the engine too.

That's why people like the 075/076 chassis. You can run those things over with a tractor and barely scratch them.

I would try a common pipe clamp about the same diameter. They're wider and that would increase the surface area for pressure on the boot.

That's why people like the 075/076 chassis. You can run those things over with a tractor and barely scratch them.

Do you mean hose clamp?

Why didn't the guy in the video take a saw and cut a lot of the stump off? That machine looks slow and clumsy!

Back