MSA441 " HELP "

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know how the fuel tank goes on a MS441 Stihl ? I swear it looks like it has to be split to put it on ??
This saw came to me with a busted tank already off. Ran over by a wood trailer its first year of use ! LOL

I just start by removing everything. I take off the clutch cover and recoil cover. Remove the top cover. Take off the trigger and linkage. Remove the carb. Remove the handle bar. Remove the front AV spring. Remove the rear AV spring. At this point you it will start to come apart and you will need to remove the upper portion of the fuel line from the elbow. You will figure it out as you go. Once you get it taken apart to this level it's a perfect time to clean everything that needs to be cleaned.

Message me with your email address if you want the workshop manual.

-n

Edit. Or follow these steps:
Remove Front Handle
Remove Carb Housing
Remove Stop Buffer
Remove Actuating Lever
Remove Anti Vibe Springs
Remove Wiring Harness (if you have heating)

Then pull the front of the housing down out of the crank case, then turn housing to the side and remove. Double check your new tank for parts that you might need from the old tank.

Last edited:
Fuel tanks on most newer Stihl saws are part of the rear handle assembly which has the gas tank, rear handle, and bottom chassis. It does not split apart.

Here is the 441 rear handle/gas tank one-piece plastic part:

441 rear handle.jpg

Without taking it apart I can understand your frustration. Just getting it back on the case requires knowledge of Chinese puzzles. After that you will need three very small hands to get the a\v springs positioned correctly. The good news is I did it so anyone can figure it out, it also helps to have a good ipl on hand.

Back