Mucculloch Pro Mach 55 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoking440

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Mucculloch pro mach 55 for 10$ the other day. I didn't know if I should even bother with it because it was so dirty and looked like it needed a lot of TLC.
I got it all cleaned up, fixed starter rope and handle, and it realy didn't look so bad after all. Piston and bore looked great, poured some fresh fuel in and it started first pull.:D
Can anyone tell me any specs on this saw like hp, cc, or weight? Was this a good saw in its day? It sure cuts good and seems to have plenty of power.

I picked up a Mucculloch pro mach 55 for 10$ the other day. I didn't know if I should even bother with it because it was so dirty and looked like it needed a lot of TLC.
I got it all cleaned up, fixed starter rope and handle, and it realy didn't look so bad after all. Piston and bore looked great, poured some fresh fuel in and it started first pull.:D
Can anyone tell me any specs on this saw like hp, cc, or weight? Was this a good saw in its day? It sure cuts good and seems to have plenty of power.

here , this will help you with this saw and all your future saws:hmm3grin2orange: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView

it was a good old mac, you'll enjoy it

Thanks for the link to the info on old chain saws. I saved that for future refference. I didn't find the pro mach 55 listed in there, but I don't have the serial number right here to look it up with.
What oil ratio should I be running in that old McCulloch? I used my Stihl 50:1 mix from my other saws to test it. I noticed that specs show using 20:1 in it but, todays oils are much better.

Thanks for the link to the info on old chain saws. I saved that for future refference. I didn't find the pro mach 55 listed in there, but I don't have the serial number right here to look it up with.
What oil ratio should I be running in that old McCulloch? I used my Stihl 50:1 mix from my other saws to test it. I noticed that specs show using 20:1 in it but, todays oils are much better.

20 to 1 was for the oils they used to make. I run all my old saws, well my new ones too at 40 to 1. 50 to 1 will be just fine. The mix is about the quality of oil, not the age of the saw.
its there --I pasted it below

Model: Pro Mac 55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: McCULLOCH MOTORS CORP.
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 600031
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1973
YEAR DISCONTINUED: 1977
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 3.5 cu. in. (57 cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 1.812 in. (46.02 mm)
PISTON STROKE: 1.375 in. (34.92 mm)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: not advertised
WEIGHT : 15.6 lbs. (7.1 kg) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: Yes
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: McCulloch flywheel breaker point system
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS
Walbro SDC
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-23HS for Tillotson
K10-SDC for Walbro
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-5HS/T for Tillotson
D10-SDC for Walbro
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Flocked wire screen element
STARTER TYPE: McCulloch automatic rewind on left side
OIL PUMP: Automatic with manual override
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING: 26 degrees before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.019 in. (0.48 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: 0.010 to 0.012 in. (0.25 to 0.30 mm)
SPARK PLUG TYPE: AC CS45T
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.025 in. (0.63 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball and caged needle roller
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 1.5 U.S. Pints (791 ml)
FUEL OIL RATIO: 20:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: McCulloch two-cycle chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in.
CHAIN TYPE: McCulloch
BAR MOUNT PATTERN: 11 link
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 16 in. (40 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 28 in. (71 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME: McCulloch Yellow enamel with Black

Latest posts

Back