Much better results with new stove glass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Back in late April a crack appeared in my 14-year-old woodstove glass. Lucky for me it was at the end of the heating season! Being a Dovre stove, the new glass came from Quadri-fire, and I just wanted to remark how much clearer the glass stays than the old one. I'm sure that the technology improved since 14 years ago, but also maybe Quadri-fire used a better glass than Dovre did or that was available back in 1993. Let's just say that I'm "pleasantly suprised"!

Just a hunch, but it's probably just because the glass is still relatively smooth and hasn't gotten pitted/scratched/etc yet.

What did that glass set cost you?

I replaced my inner glass last year and it cost $75 (Consolidated Dutchwest)

How hard is it to break the stove glass? My Dad and I where talking about getting him a new stove and he is paranoid that the glass is severely fragile. What do you guys know about it for me to tell him?

Does the glass tend to get broke due to shifting wood during a burn or other reasons? The wood shifting was my Dad's biggest fear for breakage.

If you have any problems with the glass you will have it right away due to heat and a stress concentration. When I got my stove one of the side glasses cracked the first hot fire we had. Two more pains were broken before I got the touch just right. I have had no problems since and we have two full seasons on it since. I suspect the frame is not quite as flat as it should be and causes a stress concetration when the glass gets real hot.

The glass is tough - log rolls up against it - won't hurt it - will clean it up some if it was dirty - got to watch it when you open the door so you don't drop the coals on the floor:(

Don

Does the glass tend to get broke due to shifting wood during a burn or other reasons? The wood shifting was my Dad's biggest fear for breakage.

No, shifting wood won't cause breakage. It's actually clear ceramic not glass so it has great thermal resisitance and is very strong. Breakge only happens from operator error - usually trying to close the door on a log that's just a smidgen too long.

What did that glass set cost you?

I replaced my inner glass last year and it cost $75 (Consolidated Dutchwest)

It's a pretty big glass and if I remember correctly it was around $130. Another thing that impressed me was that it came with the gasket already attached to it from Quadri-fire. The old Dovre set-up had the glass pressing against a foam-like pad; this set-up is much better.

No, shifting wood won't cause breakage. It's actually clear ceramic not glass so it has great thermal resisitance and is very strong. Breakge only happens from operator error - usually trying to close the door on a log that's just a smidgen too long.

I can't say what it was that caused it to break after 13 years. One stoveshop owner said that they get "fragile" after years of use; the stoveshop owner that I bought the new glass from (who was the original Dovre dealer) said "that glass shouldn't have broken". I do however remember about 1-2 weeks prior to that coming into the room and seeing that a log had fallen and was resting against the glass. The crack didn't appear until 1-2 weeks later which I thought was very strange! Whatever it was, like I said, the new one is much better and just seems better probably because it's 14 year more modern technology.

Back