Mud & More Mud

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRCONRAN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is It Just Me But Are All The Best Logs Always On The Other Side Of A Wet Spot? How Does Everyone Get Across The Wet Holes? I Was Going To Post Pics Of My Latest Fopar But I Don't Want Everyone To Find Out Just How Stupid I Can Really Be!

A Moron Is Someone Working To Become An Idiot

Four wheel drive helps!:laugh: Have you considered running chains? They really help. I've logged areas so steep that I've had to run them when its perfectly dry, and thats on my skidders!

Mud

I Would Wait Untill It Freezes But I'm A One Man Crew And Need To Get The Logs Off When I Can. Some Of These Holes Are Spring Fed And Never Freeze On My Property. I Do Run Chains When The Ground Starts To Freeze. If It Gets Too Wet I Just Wait For It To Dry Up Some. But There Will Always Be Wet Holes To Cross. Here Are Some Pics Of The Current Log Pile I Am Working. I Havn't Stacked Them As It Takes To Much Time And Will Rut Up The Landing. I Will Pick Up The Small Logs With A Forwarding Trailer After It Gets Cold. The Rest Will Be Skidded Out.

Log Pile Pics

Current Pile. I SAVE THE SMALL WOOD TO BURN MYSELF. I USE A WOODSTOCK SOAP STONE BRAND STOVE AND IT HAS A SMALL FIRE BOX.

Mud Tractor

Hello Wood Farmer, It's A 1530. I Bought It A Couple Of Years Ago And Had The Engine Rebuiltand Added The Loader. I Have Chains For It But I Don't Want To Put Them On Just Yet. I Am Waiting For It To Freeze Up Before I Start Skidding Them Out. I Also Have A Small Forwarding Trailer That Will Come Into Play Later. It's Been Raining A Lot Here. The Past Week We Have Had Sunny Weather But I Don't Want To Rut The Road Up. Next Year I Hope To Put A New Clutch In Her. Grinds A Little Getting It Into Gear.

Up here in the daks

I run into that quite a bit. I actually do all my dragging with my Jeep dude. 4-low drags well for me. I run into that all the time actually. What I do??? Hmmmm, don't know if its a good idea or not, but it works for me. I carry about 5 lengths of 20' chains, that gets me within a 100 feet of any logs, then I drag it about 20 or 30 ft at a time and take lengths out. It's kinda medieval, but it works dude. I always enjoy working hard anyways. Were I you, if you had a little extra money, go buy yourself a 15,000lb winch and slap that baby on your tractor with about 200' of cable. That my friend works like a champ. Just remember to anchor your tractor to a huge tree or block the tarsssss. Hope that gives you some ideas...

Beech

MRCONRAN said:
Current Pile. I SAVE THE SMALL WOOD TO BURN MYSELF. I USE A WOODSTOCK SOAP STONE BRAND STOVE AND IT HAS A SMALL FIRE BOX.

You gots some nice little Beech growin there dude...

I Have A Uniwinch Model 40e 8000lb Of Pull. Works Very Well But The Area I'm Logging Is About 400 Yards Farther In. I'll Have To Wait And See If The Mud Hole Will Freeze This Winter. I Have Done The Chain Work In The Past, It's A Drag Punn Intended.

Nice!!!

MRCONRAN said:
I Have A Uniwinch Model 40e 8000lb Of Pull. Works Very Well But The Area I'm Logging Is About 400 Yards Farther In. I'll Have To Wait And See If The Mud Hole Will Freeze This Winter. I Have Done The Chain Work In The Past, It's A Drag Punn Intended.

Dude, that kicks royal BUTT!!! What part of NY you in?

I'm In Gouverneur. I Have 57 Acres, Large Meadow In The Back Yard With The Balance In Brush And Trees. Mostly Grown Up Pasture. There Are Some Nice Logs Here And There. Most Of The Trees Are Small. A Few Nice Oak I Am Going To Cut This Next Week. I Am Almost Out Of Firewood To Sell So I Will Have To Get Restocked On That As Well.
Mr Bill

MRCONRAN said:
I Would Wait Untill It Freezes But I'm A One Man Crew And Need To Get The Logs Off When I Can. Some Of These Holes Are Spring Fed And Never Freeze On My Property. I Do Run Chains When The Ground Starts To Freeze. If It Gets Too Wet I Just Wait For It To Dry Up Some. But There Will Always Be Wet Holes To Cross. Here Are Some Pics Of The Current Log Pile I Am Working. I Havn't Stacked Them As It Takes To Much Time And Will Rut Up The Landing. I Will Pick Up The Small Logs With A Forwarding Trailer After It Gets Cold. The Rest Will Be Skidded Out.
Brooks and streams are the only thing I would worry about.That mud will be dried up and gone next summer.Give er h*ll !

Frozen

MRCONRAN said:
I'm In Gouverneur. I Have 57 Acres, Large Meadow In The Back Yard With The Balance In Brush And Trees. Mostly Grown Up Pasture. There Are Some Nice Logs Here And There. Most Of The Trees Are Small. A Few Nice Oak I Am Going To Cut This Next Week. I Am Almost Out Of Firewood To Sell So I Will Have To Get Restocked On That As Well.
Mr Bill

Soon enough everything will be frozen. That's for sure...

jms log trailer they say it can be towed with a 4 wheeler. I moved it empty with my polaris 400 sportsman but I doubt it would haul it very far with even a small load. jms has a spring kit to help with the load but I know my 4 wheeler would never handle it on any incline. Its about the right size for my 2 wheel drive 45horse tractor. I like it as it keeps the firewood clean. i mounted the power pack to fit on the 3 point hitch. the tractor pump is rated at 10-11 gpm but the little loader only takes 3-4 gpm so i couldn't use the tractor remotes. hope the sun shines monday.

Log trailer

MRCONRAN said:
jms log trailer they say it can be towed with a 4 wheeler. I moved it empty with my polaris 400 sportsman but I doubt it would haul it very far with even a small load. jms has a spring kit to help with the load but I know my 4 wheeler would never handle it on any incline. Its about the right size for my 2 wheel drive 45horse tractor. I like it as it keeps the firewood clean. i mounted the power pack to fit on the 3 point hitch. the tractor pump is rated at 10-11 gpm but the little loader only takes 3-4 gpm so i couldn't use the tractor remotes. hope the sun shines monday.

I think that thing is worth more than my jeep, wood trailer, chainsaws, and mauls all combined, lmao. Ugh, the other half, lmao... I believe Jones said it best, "someday my day will come..":givebeer:

front wheel assist

when have used aftermarket front wheel assist on farm before.bought hydralic outfit at farm sale to use on front end loader tractor helped out alot,especially backing up with load.:help:

Latest posts

Back