Muffler Bolts Coming Loose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl chainsaw MS291

I had to remove the muffler and since reinstalling it has come loose a couple of times.

What does Stihl use on the bolts or what do you use on the bolts to keep them tight?
Torx head bolts, I'm guessing about 10mm

Any help would be appreciated .

I've had good results using the the locking agent used for securing the bolts on auto brake calipers. It seems able to withstand the heat, & also will allow removal if needed I more than sure "Locktite will produce a suitable goo to do the job

I use 266 loctite. Works great.
A word of advice; put it in the hole with a pick, or something small, not on the screw. It all ends up not where it needs to be. Then tighten the piss out of them.

I appreciate the advice thanks.

Last night I put the muffler back on with permatex blue before getting to your suggestions and if comes loose again I will try either one of the two you suggest

Clean the threads really good and put a little oil on them. As you tighten the bolts they stretch a lot more than you might think, that oil makes it easier to seat them all the way. And the little star washer is a good idea also.

More good info thanks
If my last install fails I will take extra care in cleaning the threads ,oil them up and use the star lock washers

Latest posts

Back