Muffler Mod on 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Buendgen

Reaction score
I'm doing a muffler mod on my 395xp soon. Just had a quick question about getting rid of the limiters. I did the mod on my 390xp YEARS ago. Is it the same on the 395 as on the 390 as far as the limiters go? If different can someone tell me what I'm going to be up against?
Also, what is the max safe RPM I can be running with my 390 and 395 at? I mix my fuel 40:1 and use the saws for logging.
Thanks.

yer from vermont, sure your not confusing logging with sapling trimming? lol :cheers: i'd run the 390 at 13.5 stock with a muffler mod and the 395 at 13. 390 is dependant on the coil. if it is limited i tune by ear til i hear the limiter and then an extra 1/8th turn. get's it close enough. gotta know the sound of the limiter though. i'd probably push the 395 to 13.3 if it were my saw though. i believe the 395 has a 300A which would be similar to the 296A limiters. both i don't remember what the limiters were like or if they even have limiters ;)

Well I know the 390 has (had) limiters. I just had to unscrew them all the way, then file off the limiters and reinstall them. I assume the 395 is the same way, but I just needed to be sure. Both saws are "stock" except for the muffler mod.
And no, not getting confused about the term "logging". Our timber is not as big as what you have out west, but in the southern part of the state here, we still have some decent timber, not all pecker poles here. But I understand what you are saying. I don't have any good pictures of what I'm currently cutting, but I'll take a look at what I have. Mostly cutting pine, hemlock, and some hardwood. And a lot of firewood, it's that time of year...

Attachments

• SAM_6758.JPG
    SAM_6758.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_6627.JPG
    SAM_6627.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 49
  • SAM_6761.JPG
    SAM_6761.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 43
your 390 has the newer walbro. pushing in the limiter and removing screw then clipping the limiter piece off with a pair of side cutters. the old 390/385 has a tilly 296 which is a different setup. i can't even remember if they had limiters on both screws. i think just the high speed was limited IIRC. the tilly 300 on the 395 will likely be similar to the 296. only way to find out is check. i know too, i just like razzing the eastern guys. seen alot of them give up here once they realized what it was all about. if i wanted a challenge i'd sooner deal with the fire kill and windfall in my back yard before heading east lol just razzing ya :D

the 395 at 13. 390 is dependent on the coil. if it is limited i tune by ear til i hear the limiter and then an extra 1/8th turn. get's it close enough. gotta know the sound of the limiter though. i'd probably push the 395 to 13.3 if it were my saw though. i believe the 395 has a 300A which would be similar to the 296A limiters.

pushing in the limiter and removing screw then clipping the limiter piece off with a pair of side cutters.

Just want to make sure I understand cause I'm looking at a 395 myself. If I understand you correctly, the 395 has limiters on one or both carb screws AND has a limited coil as well??
If that's correct, then what's the best unlimited replacement coil for the 395? I'm sure that's been asked a few times, but I searched and came up empty.

the 395 coil is unlimited so good to go there. it's been a long time since i even looked at a 395 carb so i can't remember on the limiter situation. for some reason i think just the high speed has a limiter on it though. someone who has worked on one more recently can chime in so you know for sure.

;);)
your 390 has the newer walbro. pushing in the limiter and removing screw then clipping the limiter piece off with a pair of side cutters. the old 390/385 has a tilly 296 which is a different setup. i can't even remember if they had limiters on both screws. i think just the high speed was limited IIRC. the tilly 300 on the 395 will likely be similar to the 296. only way to find out is check. i know too, i just like razzing the eastern guys. seen alot of them give up here once they realized what it was all about. if i wanted a challenge i'd sooner deal with the fire kill and windfall in my back yard before heading east lol just razzing ya :D
That's not a knife, this is a knife.( Crockodile Dundee );)

I don't have my 395 yet, but as I understand it, all you have to do to adjust the mixture is use this tool

Splined Adjustment Tool 530035560 on Amazon

41BuqrJR23L._SX681_.jpg

+2, but it requires that you keep both types of screwdrivers with you in the field if you own saws with both types of screws and want to make minor adjustments, etc.

The factory splined mixture screws can be removed and "slotted" with a fine dremel tool cut off wheel so you can use either type of tool on them. I do this to all of those type of mixture screws on saws that I work on/tune here.

I've worked on a few 390, 394 and 395XP's, and never saw them lacking anyplace it power to where I'd want to do a muffler mod on them. Has anyone done this and tested the results, etc?

So Cliff, is it correct that the 395 carburetor can adjusted using the full range of the screw by using this tool without making any modifications to needle adjustment screws? And going by what you are saying, the only reason you need the splined tool is because the adjustment screws do not have a slot to allow adjustment with a common flat head screwdriver.

Others talk about "cutting the ears off" to allow full adjustment yet fail to provide a pic. I would like to see a pic of these ears. And when I get mine, I will post a pic and video of using this tool to adjust the H/L screws on my 395

A quick easy little gain is to cut the restrictions off covering the port exit near chainbrake with a burr or cutoff disc. The 394/395 seem to like to be on the rich side regarding tuning.

Limiter caps do just that, the factory installs them to prevent the user from going very lean and outside of what would pass EPA emissions. There are several varieties of "limiters", all are somewhat tamper proof but usually easy to get by that deal. I only have pics of what Echo uses an many of their later model saws, and put a few pics below of how we "modify" them. You'll notice that I gently grind off the "stops" on the limiters, then re-install all of it so it maintains the stock appearance. Just an extra step and although I've never once had any of these engines fail within the warranty period, at least if the did it wouldn't be real obvious we were in there making adjustments beyond the factory limits.

The screws that take the splined tool typically don't use "limiters" with them, but there may be exceptions to that basic rule. I guess they consider the splined tool a tamper-proof deal all by itself. Most of the smaller Husqvarna newer stuff will use the splined mixture screws, 435, 440's and such. Not sure about the larger saws I don't see too many newer versions here other than the ones that we own or owned by family members, and all of ours are fully adjustable since the day we brought them home......Cliff

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG

Thanks Cliff, a pic is worth a 1000 words! I will post similar pics of my 395 when I get it. Then we can all see what the difference is and how the 395 carburetor screws are adjusted. Your pics were really nice and it looks like you do excellent work!

You are most welcome.

You'll find the Husqvarna a little more difficult to access than the Echo CS-620PW in pics, but the basic fundamentals are the same for the carburetors that have "L" and "H" adjustment screws. For the newer saws you'll find that the factory will have put something in place to prevent tampering, you just basically have to look at what it is and come up with a way to get past it......Cliff

Limiter caps do just that, the factory installs them to prevent the user from going very lean and outside of what would pass EPA emissions. There are several varieties of "limiters", all are somewhat tamper proof but usually easy to get by that deal. I only have pics of what Echo uses an many of their later model saws, and put a few pics below of how we "modify" them. You'll notice that I gently grind off the "stops" on the limiters, then re-install all of it so it maintains the stock appearance. Just an extra step and although I've never once had any of these engines fail within the warranty period, at least if the did it wouldn't be real obvious we were in there making adjustments beyond the factory limits.

The screws that take the splined tool typically don't use "limiters" with them, but there may be exceptions to that basic rule. I guess they consider the splined tool a tamper-proof deal all by itself. Most of the smaller Husqvarna newer stuff will use the splined mixture screws, 435, 440's and such. Not sure about the larger saws I don't see too many newer versions here other than the ones that we own or owned by family members, and all of ours are fully adjustable since the day we brought them home......Cliff

View attachment 628336 View attachment 628337 View attachment 628338 View attachment 628339
The limiters on your 395 are nothing like these. They are the same as what you had on your 390. The needles can be adjusted with a flat tip screwdriver ,just like your 390. Remove them and file the stops off, just like you did before. Your coil is unlimited.

Correct Brad, wasn't implying that they were the same just making some general statements about limiter caps and splined "H" and "L" speed screws. Been a while since I've adjusted the carb on the 395XP that I have here and can't remember if it came with limiter caps or not it's been so long since I've looked at it.......

that splined tool should work on a 395 with a walbro WJ carb. IIRC the tillotson has just a limited high speed needle similar to the pics above but with a black cap. it's been a while since i had any 395's in here though.

Latest posts

Back