Muffler mod questions on MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I've tried researching muffler mods and most of the info has gone away due to the hack. What is the current thinking on a simple (relatively easy) muffler mod for a 361? Note: This is not info for me and I will not be the one doing it. It is for a guy in MI.

I know the 361 exhaust is different than many of the models I deal with so just don't know what to tell him without having the saw in hand. Not looking for a welded on pipe or something complex. The spark screen is also not too big an issue where he's at.
Any ideas or links?
Thanks.

Do one of those typical vertical slot with a dremel cutoff wheel just behind the seam, on the recoil side, pry out to make a scoop shape.
Bypasses all the convoluted mess in there...

Yah, my 361 mods and upgrades thread was hacked to death. I updated the part numbers and such, but not the Lakeside muffler mod photos (which are a welded or brazed on section of pipe, like what Wojo sells on Ebay).

The esiest way to do a 361 muffler mod is the Shark Gill method. Quick, simple, and it works. Cut a few slots into the lower outside of the muffler, and use a screwdriver to lever out the slots so the air flows. Here is a photo of the finished mod:

361 SharGill mod.jpg

Another method is to drill or cut a hole into the side of the muffler in the same location and cover it with a screen and a Husky deflector. Here be an artistic representation that I did years ago for the 361 Stihl Billy muffler mod from my archives (with the Husky part numbers):

Husky parts with Stihl 361 mod.jpg

You will get a 5-10% bump in performance from either of these mods. Also you need to retune the saw because the added air flow will lean the crap out of it and it will burn up. So remove the limiter tab from the H screw on the carb, and retune the thing after the muffler mod with a tach, or use your ear to get a burple at WOT out of the wood, and a clean running WOT in the wood.

Latest posts

Back