muffler mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enjoys cutting

enjoys cutting

ArboristSite Operative
i know i'll probably get hell from someone,"seach,seach,search"lol.seriously all i need to know is to mod my muffler if i take it off and drill a 1/2" or 5/8 hole throuhg the front side,clean it out and put a screen and washer over it then weld it will that give the desired effect i am looking for?the saw is a 2159,thanks for the patients.
mike

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Someone around here has done that. Go with the 1/2" hole cut some then drill the 5/8" hole you will see the diff. then put your screen on.
It would not be a bad idea to do a search lots of info out there.

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
enjoys cutting said:
thanks dave,do you have to take the limiter caps off?without a rpm gauge do you just ajust until it sounds good,will the chain run if it's reving to high?

Yes, you'll likely need to pull the caps to make your adjustments, and then tune like you'd normally tune the saw, though it'll likely be a higher RPM than stock.
(This is where a search would net you some good results, as this gets talked about weekly.)

And I'm not sure what you mean by the chain running if it's revving too high. As long as you're not bogged in wood, or your clutch is jacked up, of course it'll run.

Jeff

enjoys cutting

enjoys cutting

ArboristSite Operative
when i bought the saw and run a few tanks of fuel throught it i went back to the dealer so he could set the carb.when i started using the saw again i noticed the chain was still moving after i let off on the trigger.i just turned it back until it stopped,that's what i meant by chain running
mike

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
enjoys cutting said:
i see in the old posts that there is a lot pipes in the modes,is it better to put pipes than a screen?and if so is it better to put the pipe on the side or corners of the muffler instead of the front?
mike
Screens are for antispark. THE DNR DOESN'T WANT YOU BURNING UP THE FOREST. pipes are cool you can direct the exhaust better.
I see you did a search or you would not be asking about pipes.
I like mine looking stock so I use the same hardware.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nope.
What I did was took the screen out, pryed the deflector up enough to get a rotary file in the hole, then pushed the deflector down enough to clear the break handle. then extended the deflector.
I'm thinking of extending it more for tuning.
Also I can still use the stock screen if I wanted to.... barely.

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
enjoys cutting said:
...the chain was still moving after i let off on the trigger.i just turned it back until it stopped,that's what i meant by chain running

Ah, I see what you're saying, you meant at idle. Then yes, the idle is/was too high. You were right in turning it back. I thought you were asking if the chain would turn if the WOT RPMs were too high.

enjoys cutting

enjoys cutting

ArboristSite Operative
depth of pipe?

i'm thinking of putting a pipe on the same side as the original exhaust port down towards the bottom at about a 45 degree angle to the exhaust.as long as the inside diameter of the pipe is 1/2 to 5/8" i should be ok,right?also does the pipe have to be welded flush or should you sink it in the muffler?
mike

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Also do the mod off the saw and use a blow gun to get all the metal shavings out of the muffler when you are done.
You my want to size up the gasket side to the exhaust port. size the heat shield , gasket and muffler intake the same.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
enjoys cutting said:
i'm thinking of putting a pipe on the same side as the original exhaust port down towards the bottom at about a 45 degree angle to the exhaust.as long as the inside diameter of the pipe is 1/2 to 5/8" i should be ok,right?also does the pipe have to be welded flush or should you sink it in the muffler?
mike

Look up double barrel muffler mod. on the dolmar
also 361 muffler mod
then let your mind wonder.

Last edited:
manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
enjoys cutting said:
by this do you mean making the hole on the back side of the muffler bigger?
yes sometimes you will have to.
start with the gasket. Size it up to the exhaust port of the cylinder.
use you newly sized gasket as a pattern and do the same thing to the intake side of the muffler.
This way you get full flow out of your cylinder.

enjoys cutting

enjoys cutting

ArboristSite Operative
wondering mind

that's the problem my mind is wondering to far to fast.lol i'm looking at old post getting new ideas,asking questions and trying to keep all of it stored so i can start modifying tomorrow!!thanks for the new leed,the guys on this site are wright about one thing chainsaws are addictive.
mike

Latest posts