Muffler Modd Paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBUCK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What kind of paint should you use to repaint your muffler after Modding?
Does it need to be a high temperature paint or can you go with your everyday black spray paint?
Thank you for any help.

I used rub on stove blacking I like the flat black look it lasts a while, regular black won't last very long. You need high temp.

I use rattle can VHT black from Meijer. Works great and has a nice finish if you're easy on the trigger. Not flat, but not quite satin, either.

Try to stay away from glossy, it just doesn't look right. I use stove paint in a rattle can, just give it several light coats and you will never tell it from new.

Last edited:
I used hi-temp Krylon BBQ paint, then baked it in the kitchen oven at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. That's what I used to do with with my two-stroke motorcycle exhaust pipe headers. Seems to work out OK.

The rustoleum BBQ grill paint is what I use. I spray it, let it air dry and then bake it at 150 degrees for about an hour. Lasts quite a while.

Baking the paint is key as is surface prep. Likely one reason repainting does not last is oil contamination. degrease, then a light sand or sandblast, quick go with cleaner being careful not to get oil from hands on part. If you want to get fussy bake it first to 500F plus to drive as much oil out of any pockets, crevices and seams. then paint and bake ramping temperature up from 150F to 400F.

BBQ paint seems to stick best, the gloss and semi gloss VHT paints tend to be more prone to flaking.

High temp powder coat works well if you have a place near by to get it done.

Electric, toaster oven for small parts, and makeshift convection kitchen oven for larger parts. Have plans for something a little biger that can hit 700 degs or so.

What answer did you want?

Powder coat is pretty forgiving and as long as the whole part gets to temp it sets up well.

That works, the further you can put the part from the heating coils the better, otherwise half the part near the coils might be at 700F the other side 200F. You can add shielding too to block radiated heat, even add a fan on a shaft poked through the side to make it into a convection oven and get a more even heat.

Latest posts

Back