Mugus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCrab1027

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This might be the wrong forum for this question but I have about a dozen Mugu pines lining my sidewalk and driveway. For the past several weeks, I've noticed that they appear to have a slightly yellowish cast. Is this something I should be worried about? Or, is it a natural thing for this time of year? If it is something I can fix, should it be done now or should I wait until Spring? So far, weather here in Md. has been very mild. Thanks for your help.

I have seen mugo's go chlorotic, I would just keep an eye on them next season and if they don't green up then start looking for problems.

Is the yellowing consistant though out each bush and the all the population? Are there any scales on the needles. Is it possible that they were yellowing earlier and you are jusat now noticing?

This seems to be a general non-specific yellowing of the shrubs. I don't see any scales. I've thought about using a recommended application of Greenol but I'm concerned that it may be more than just an iron deficiency. During early Fall, I thought I might be having a mite problem so I applied Isotox followed by an insecticidal soap a few weeks later. Might this have caused the yellowing? Shrubs appear healthy otherwise. The yellowing was very gradual and, as you have indicated, may not have been noticed.

I have not heard of soaps beaing a problem with Mugo pine. Did yo look at the label of the other product to see if there were any incompatabilites?

Inspect the roots then wait to see if they green up in the spring.

Back