Mulberry Tree - Pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtzCutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Since I have purchased my home the Mulberry tree in the front yard has been neglected. I've done some pruning to the tree to eliminate lower branches that hinder view of the road way in the past. I am in the process of clearing out the front yard, which had gravel in it, to prepare for grass. As I look at what kind of grass to plant I am starting to understand that the more light I can get to the ground the better.

There is one main branch that I am concerned about. I've had it explained to me that the branch is "bleeding" and is caused by excessive weight of the limbs attached to it. Will someone please share more about what is causing this in the tree? Also the top of the roots are visible, would it help to back fill around this Mulberry? Would pruning several branches help with this Mulberry?

Since the ground slopes to the house I am wanting to backfill the front yard level.

ETZ, I think you need to decide something. Do you want lawn? or do you want this tree?

Not surprisingly, considering I am an arborist, I vote for the tree.

Lawns requires sun. There are some species of turf grass that claim to be "shade tolerant" but they still need sun. IMHO, you aren't going to get enough to satisfy the turf requirements without having to take a damaging amount off this tree. You don't say where you are from so I don't know if you are looking at the cool season grasses, such as the fine fescues, or the warm season grasses such as St. Augustinegrass.

Add to this the fact that trees do better with mulch around them rather than turfgrass and this leaves you very little room for a lawn. Perhaps consider a relandscape plan that involves a bit more imagination and allows companion planting for the benefit of the tree and aesthetic appeal for your house.

A small amount of topsoil on top of the roots won't matter. Say a couple of inches. But a significant amount of backfill may be detrimental to the tree by suffocating the root system.

This is a really cool looking tree. As I am rather unfamiliar with mulberries, and didn't think they are normally multi-trunk, I would recommend consulting with an onsite arborist to evaluate the junctions. Would the tree benefit from a light trimming or would it actually need cabling; these are questions that could be answered.

The weeping you see appears to be coming from an old wound. Many species have wetwood which is an oversaturation of the heartwood which oozes from openings. I am not sure this is what that is, but an onsite qualified arborist would be able to tell. Generally speaking, if it is wetwood, this is not considered a problem unless it attracts insects that could further damage the tree. Again, a qualified arborist would be able to help you out there as well.

If this tree is on the south or west side of your house it could be supplying significant benefits by shading it in the summer. Give serious consideration before you compromise its wellbeing.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back