Mulch around trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As a tree grows, are you supposed to enlarge the diameter of the mulch circle around the base of the tree? If so, at what point do you stop?

When I planted my trees at our new house, I dug the hole and left the top mulched instead of letting the grass grow back. At the time, the mulch circle was approximately the same size as the drip line. Now, as the tree grows, I feel like the mulch bed should grow also, but I don't want to turn my entire yard into mulch - I like the grass also.

Thanks.
James

Well, the more the merrier but as you said it can be overkill when you want a lawn too.

So there's no genuine rule and what suits you and the landscape, to the drip line would be ideal but half that is better than none to.

Ekka's right; it's a compromise. I often recommend wider mulch areas with liriope, vinca and other groundcover that will live above the tree's rootzone and still give people the green that they want.

From what I've heard people say, watering at the trunk is useless, right? It's the water at the drip line that feeds the tree?

JamesTX said:
From what I've heard people say, watering at the trunk is useless, right? It's the water at the drip line that feeds the tree?
It's worse than useless; many grand old trees have died due to irrigation of the trunk.

yes if you stand back and look at the tree, think of the significance ot the dripline. It's there that water drips, so it's there that roots grow a lot. If you want a general rule, start watering at 1/2 the way to the dripline, and be sure to get well beyond it.

Check the link below for details; 16 info sheets free for the downloading.

Mulch is great--but be sure you don't pile the mulch against the base of your tree. NO mulch volcanos. Too much mulch too close to the tree can hold too much moisture against the bark and cause rot---a home for insects, voles---and other critters that want to eat your tree!
I see so many rotting tree trunks on new clients properties from improperly applied mulch--I can't stand it. More often than not it has been applied by "proffessional Landscapers"--I pull the mulch away and expose rotting bark--Worms--armidillo bugs--earwigs etc. all manner of critters living in the rotting tissue---Once that rotting bark has decayed--and the mulch dries out during a dry spell the mulch sucks the moisture from the exposed cambium layer..........I could go on and on with the problems this causes.........
If you care for your trees---care for your trees, and keep the mulch atleast a foot from the basae of your trees-----
thanks, and your trees will thank you

Start your mulch bed half the distance between the trunk and the drip line, and go out with it from there. Ideally, it should go out 2x the diameter of the drip line, but as was mentioned, this is not always feasable, due to any number of reasons. A live oak with a 120' spread would require ALOT of mulch. Ground cover such as lariope is a good idea (ferns are good also). It spreads fairly quickly, doesn't compete for nutrients nearly as much as turf does, and will build up a protective layer on the topsoil.

Latest posts

Back