Multi purpose hydralic splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redheadwoodshed

Freebird
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of inventive folks in here, so I was wondering does anyone here use their hydraulic wood splitter for anything other than splitting wood.
They are great for braking the bead on tires, even those hard to break lawnmower tires, and I thinking on a way to turn my harbor frieght pipe bender into a easy, power pipe bender.But what I would really like to do is design and build some kind of attachment to compact and bail pinestraw.Shouldn't take much really, a steel box with a door on one side to unload it.A steel press plate to fit on the wedge of my Speeco 35ton.I have plenty of pinestraw.I could build a rake pretty easy to pull behind my modified sears tow rig (an old lawnmower without the deck). Just kicking around some ideas.Pinestraw sells pretty good for mulch, and autum and halloween decorations.

Anybody got anything?

In the spring, the splitter beam gets removed, and the pump, tank and engine go on the hitch of the seed Buggy, in order to run the seed auger to fill the Planter boxes.

Just picked up a pump so I am going to try to get started building a splitter. I was thinking of using quick connects so that I could use the engine and pump on a future dump trailer if I ever get around to it. Just a thought right now.

I use the hydrualics on mine for a home made porta power really hard to control though, want to try and use it for a powered jack for the tractors but I haven't found the right cylinder yet. Need a small telescoping cylinder they are just way to expensive.

love it for tires, tried it for bending but it kinks the pipes way to much, need anvals or something.

:msp_thumbup:good thread will be interesting to see what others do. :popcorn:

I use the hydrualics on mine for a home made porta power really hard to control though, want to try and use it for a powered jack for the tractors but I haven't found the right cylinder yet. Need a small telescoping cylinder they are just way to expensive.

love it for tires, tried it for bending but it kinks the pipes way to much, need anvals or something.

:msp_thumbup:good thread will be interesting to see what others do. :popcorn:

Yea, I have one of those pipe benders with a 12 ton jack and the bending dies.I am planning on fitting the setup to the cylinder to bend faster.

I've also been envisioning my future splitter to be two-piece with a "power pack" configuration on the engine/pump/valve assembly.

well...I think every boy needs a hovercraft.

You're on your own figuring out all those pesky engineering details on converting your splitter to one though....

...but...if you could use the same basic frame and engine and a modified axle with some gears and have it be like a tight quarters mini skidder, that would be cool...like those Dr powerwagons kinda sorta

..I'd still rather have a hovercraft....

I know there are a lot of inventive folks in here, so I was wondering does anyone here use their hydraulic wood splitter for anything other than splitting wood.
They are great for braking the bead on tires, even those hard to break lawnmower tires, and I thinking on a way to turn my harbor frieght pipe bender into a easy, power pipe bender.But what I would really like to do is design and build some kind of attachment to compact and bail pinestraw.Shouldn't take much really, a steel box with a door on one side to unload it.A steel press plate to fit on the wedge of my Speeco 35ton.I have plenty of pinestraw.I could build a rake pretty easy to pull behind my modified sears tow rig (an old lawnmower without the deck). Just kicking around some ideas.Pinestraw sells pretty good for mulch, and autum and halloween decorations.

Anybody got anything?

Used one to spread the fork on an implement top link and also used one to straighten a PTO shaft for a brush hog.Hard to beat hydraulics!

I've also been envisioning my future splitter to be two-piece with a "power pack" configuration on the engine/pump/valve assembly.

I just added a T on the C1 and C2 lines from the valve and added a QD fitting, then have a QD to porta adapter. I just bottom the ram out to use it. probably should pin it somehow to stall the ram but haven't yet. The only thing is that control is really hard with my valve and the little porta power stuff. Its really tricky with retracting anything cause the cylinder moves back while your trying to drop pressure on the porta power component, the detent kinda helps. I have only used it that way a couple of times, once when I bent the bucket on the tractor and another time to straighten a truck frame.

Would work better with a power beyond valve or iso valves in the C1/C2 lines but not gonna put that kinda cash in a splitter for incidentals. Would be awesome to use it with a boom and grapple to load logs on the dump truck just not ready to dive into that kinda project right now.

I just added a T on the C1 and C2 lines from the valve and added a QD fitting, then have a QD to porta adapter. I just bottom the ram out to use it. probably should pin it somehow to stall the ram but haven't yet. The only thing is that control is really hard with my valve and the little porta power stuff. Its really tricky with retracting anything cause the cylinder moves back while your trying to drop pressure on the porta power component, the detent kinda helps. I have only used it that way a couple of times, once when I bent the bucket on the tractor and another time to straighten a truck frame.

Would work better with a power beyond valve or iso valves in the C1/C2 lines but not gonna put that kinda cash in a splitter for incidentals. Would be awesome to use it with a boom and grapple to load logs on the dump truck just not ready to dive into that kinda project right now.

surplus supply has a selector valve pretty cheap right now.You can use 1 valve on 2 circuits.You wouldn't have to bottom your cylinder out and you could run a 1/4" line to the porta-power to smooth it out.I think it is around 60$

Great, just what I need, another project!As soon as I get the rearend swapped in my truck, 900' of fence tore down and rebuilt,the back door painted and changed out, paint the living room and front porch, I can start on the bandsaw mill, hauling scrap iron and cutting firewood.In between all that I was going to build a straw baler and pipe bender, but now I have to add a hovering mini-skidder to the list.I didn't even mention the stuff I need to do to chainsaws, I guess that's my therapy, filing chains.At least I can hear the radio when I'm filing.:rock:

Hiller Flying Platform

en.wikipedia.org
The Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee was a unique direct lift rotor aircraft, using contra-rotating ducted fans inside a platform that the single pilot stood upon for lift, and controlled by the pilot shifting his body weight around to tilt the platform. Wikipedia
Top speed: 16 mph (26 km/h)
Manufacturer: Hiller Aircraft

They had 2-40 h.p. engines that had to be started with a pull rope.I hope they had a decompression valve on there.

Anybody got anything?

Good for crushing large quantities of cans and plastic bottles.

I'd have it set up so the valve would disconnect from the ram on the splitter completely. Just the power pack/reservoir/valve would be transferable.

Mini-skid steer would be fun. :D

I'd have it set up so the valve would disconnect from the ram on the splitter completely. Just the power pack/reservoir/valve would be transferable.

Mini-skid steer would be fun. :D

True that would work well.

surplus supply has a selector valve pretty cheap right now.You can use 1 valve on 2 circuits.You wouldn't have to bottom your cylinder out and you could run a 1/4" line to the porta-power to smooth it out.I think it is around 60$

Yeah I could, would work well, then I would really want to build a grapple boom for the dump truck.... I guess if I was really smart I would use the pto pump already on it :hmm3grin2orange:

Side lift forklift would be another possible use. Rather than having the forks on the front, they're on the side so you drive in-line with the load. Saw one at the steel yard a couple weeks back and it struck me as perfect for handling wood off the mill.

Let's Crush 'em

Good for crushing large quantities of cans.

I've always wanted to build some sort of box that would slip over my splitting wedge and incorporate the flat part of the ram. So fill the box from the top w/ cans. Latch the top. Mash cans, and fill again, and mash and fill and.... once you get a box full of cans and it. I just wonder how to get it out, maybe some small ejector ram's that'll pop it out from the top... I'm kinda thinking about how to build this idea while I'm typing it. It would be kinda nice to take 3 blocks to the scraper as apose to 15 bags of juciy cans.

Box in the sides with plate that rides inside a framework bolted/welded to the base of the splitter (three sides, using the i beam as the bottom of the box). Then the other end would be hinged where it attaches to the ram. You'd load it up, drop the lid, then the lid would engage the framework to capture it as well. Once in compression the edges would be within the frame, but simply fall away once retracted. You'd have no additional parts to keep track of.

Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back