Multi-Trunk Doug Fir w/ Included Bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Attached are photos of a multi-trunk Doug Fir with heavily included bark adjacent to a house. Note the imbedded wire in the first photo. The second photo was taken looking up into the tree. As you can see there has been some branch failure. One of the branches recently hit the house without causing significant damage. The third photo shows the tree in relation to the house. The house is an old house (100+ years) that is built entirly of old growth redwood and is irreplaceable. The tree may have been cut when the house was built and re-sprouted (just a guess). In any case if one of the trunks peeled away and fell it, would likely hit the house and probably smash it to pieces. My recommendation is to remove the entire tree because: (1) the tree is defective because of the multiple trunks and heavily included bark and (2) the highly sensitive target. I really don't see any other options. I don't think cabling would really solve the problem nor do I see any good options for pruning this beast. Do y'all agree with my recommendation?

I would probably try to save one of the four codominant stems. It may not look just right, but chances are it might look okay or even cool. If good cuts are made, that drastic reduction in foliage might not affect it too adversely. This could satisfy the person who wants it gone, and the person who wants it preserved. I would think the chance of damaging the house would be way reduced too. Unless it happens during the procedure.:) Just some thoughts. Hope I'm not held liable.

Hey all, I'm new to this site and what a good site it is.

I would agree here, take her down and replant.

Leaving one upright is a nice idea rebelman, however, i think it would leave it too exposed and greatly change the dynamics.

i always try to find ways to preserve trees if possible, but...get that thing outta there. it's ashame to cut down such a cool old tree. not as much of a shame though, as it would be to lose that house...

photos good but not enough detail to advise on where cables could go. 2/3 of the way up is the general rule which may work well here.

Prior limb failure no reason to remove. One fork does not look codom; the other could be cabled, right?

I don't know Doug fir well, or the area's weather patterns, but removal is the last option to consider after looking well at all the others.

Have you sounded for decay? Climbed it to look vor cracks?

Sounds like this needs a closer look. Can you sell a pruning/crown inspection so you know more about the tree before condemning it?

Treeseer, it may be a little hard to tell from the photos but there are actually 6 codominant stems on this. Personally, I don't see the need to do a survey of the canopy since the problem is at the base. The problem is the codominant stems with the included bark. Since there are six, two of the stems are towards the center and as they grow it seems like they will exert pressure on the outside stems. Since the bark is included it seems like a reasonable probablity for failure.

Back