Must be from good livin'...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Ranch

Some things happen for a reason
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Friends of mine had a tree go down in their yard a few nights ago. The tree came down right along the property line and the top of it grazed the neighbor's house. They live in a subdivision and he doesn't have any need (usually) for saws or firewood so he called me to see if I wanted it. Turns out it was a 16" Cherry with very few limbs. The neighbor had already cut the top and made a tiny brush pile with what he didn't cut into 12" long fireplace wood.

When I arrived straight from my job I got to work bucking a 40' pole into 20" rounds. This brought the neighbor out and he asked if I would cut above the Y at the top 5' into a few more rounds for his fireplace. No problem. Then he asked if I would mind taking the brush since he didn't have a way to dispose of it easily. Again, no problem (as long as there was room in the truck after the rounds were in.) I finished bucking while my friend loaded the rounds into his wheelbarrow, wheeled it to the street, and loaded my truck. Then I noodled a couple of chunks at the crotch to stack in the neighbor's pile a little nicer - each branch was maybe 8" so it didn't take but a minute. My friend said I could just leave the stump that that had tipped out of the ground, but after a few minutes I convinced him that I could dispose of it MUCH easier than he could. We loaded the stump together and topped it off with the tiny brush pile that was left. Basically, all I had to do was the cutting and he did all the loading - which is OK because he's a strong, young buck. :)

The neighbor then came over with a saw in his hand. :confused: He said that it had been his father's who had passed 5 years prior and that it had been in his garage since that time. He wasn't really fond of saws anyway and didn't see himself ever using it so he told me I could have it if I wanted it. [Here is where you picture me trying not to act too excited when saying yes.] It's not much, but maybe tomorrow I'll put some fresh gas in it and see it it's worth keeping around as a limbing saw.

So, I ended up helping a friend, left with around a 1/2 cord of straight Cherry to heat my house, didn't have to load it, and acquired a free saw. He also said that he has another similar Cherry on the other side of the yard that he's going to have a tree service drop for me later this year. Oh, and then his wife fed me dinner. Here's to hoping all your wood scrounging goes as well as that.

Obligatory photo of wood and saw:
IMG_8248.JPG
IMG_8249.JPG

Love it when that happens! The attraction a running chainsaw creates is a powerful force. May the force be with you!:D

Looks like a good deal all around. Must'a been a reason for it...
I'd be liking that old saw. they come in handy. I had one up at the farm and when I pinched my saw in a log, I pulled out the older saw my son pick up for 15.00 and cut my saw free. I never laugh at those old Poulans, good saws for sure.

Yeah, I think we all ended up thinking we got the best of the deal. The neighbor got a few pieces for his fireplace and didn't have to get rid of the brush, my buddy didn't have to pay to have the wood removed, and I got... well you know what I got. If I can get about 17 more deals like that I'll have enough wood for an entire season!

I didn't think I had caught CAD, but now suddenly realize that I'm up to 7 saws... so I guess it still really hasn't hit me. ;)

Burns kinda, sorta ok. Not great, but much better than nothing. Fragrance outside from the fire is like incense. Good idea with odd bits to bust/cut it up fine, for smoking. Makes my mouth water thinking of it.

Latest posts

Back