my 090 and 090G worth a rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffyg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so i bought a 090 with a 3' bar and chain for 20bucks a few months ago... runs good.. ya i scored.

next i came across a 090G with a 4'cannon bar and new loop of chain that i wanted for parts(150$). saw is in pretty good shape, crack in the crank bell so its hooped and missing a muffler.

just trying to decide if its worth it to try to get the gear drive saw running or not. figure i will clean it up a bit and toss it in a rubbermaid for now and maybe pull it out at a later date. i see you can get a crank from bailey's

got a lot of my place here now so it may have to wait a bit, when i went to pick up the second one i was surprised to see it was different than the first 090 i picked up.

Nope, send it to me. Those are junk, I'll dispose of it properly.

Not that I am an expert on 090s, but I'd say it'd be worth hanging onto the 090G. Especially for what you picked it up for. Where are you looking? I gotta go there.

A true CAD-o-phile never tosses out anything. If you decide not to fix 'em up, sell them to someone who will :)

It would have to be really beat so as not to be worth repairing one or both. They go for big bucks, especially on eBay. A regular 090 can fetch $850, an 090AV around $1000, and an 090G more than a thousand from anyone looking for a good milling saw.
Pioneerguy600

Watch out for this guy Jeff! He just wants to steal your saws. Send me the 090G and I'll fix it for free and test run it for a couple years. Maybe five years to be sure. Trust me I'm your friend.

Dang, I can't rep you right now. Well played sir.

thanks for the imput ill take some pictures of both and put them up tomorrow or later today... just have to find that little camera card... doh

The big Stihl geardrives are nice. Here are my two 090G's I picked up recently:

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris

Those saws look brand new ! Were they sitting on a shelf when you got them? Just had to add to my post.I guess you can still buy them new down under,am I right about that/
Lawrence

Last edited:
Those saws look brand new ! Were they sitting on a shelf when you got them? Just had to add to my post.I guess you can still buy them new down under,am I right about that/
Lawrence

Hi,

One of the saws has never been run, whilst the other has seen very limited use. You definitely cannot buy these saws new in Australia any more, and have not been able to for many many years.

These two saws came from the US, and were picked up at a Stihl dealer auction a few years back. I am pretty happy to have been able to get them for my collection, as I like the old gear drives.

Regards,

Chris.

crack in the crank bell so its hooped and missing a muffler.

just trying to decide if its worth it to try to get the gear drive saw running or not.

If it was run over with a skidder after you dropped an old growth Douglas fir on it still would be worth a rebuild .... or you can send it to me .

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back