My $189 pawn shop MS 460 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
This is my second attempt here, the site locked up last time I attempted to post and I lost everything. On my way home yesterday I swung by several pawn shops to see what they might have. The first one was a bust, only plastic consumer saws. The second one was basically the same with the exception of a ragged 046 that has been there several months and a newly added MS290. The third one still had an 056 that has been for sale for a month priced at $299 as well as a MS460. I was surprised when the price read $189.

Stihl4602.jpg

I asked the kid behind the counter what the story was and he said they could not get it to start, thus it was priced accordingly. I looked around, but they did not have either a Torx wrench or a compression tester so I could get a reading on the condition of the P & C. I asked if I could come back with tools and pull the muffler and do a compression test. He indicated he would need to check in the back and left.

Shortly another fellow appeared and I asked him if there were issues with the saw. He indicated that it ran when they took it in, they were required to hold it 90 days and now they couldn't get it to start. I told him I would like to determine the condition of the internals before proceeding and he begrudgingly agreed I could check the P & C before making a decision. As an afterthought I asked if I could try to start it and he agreed.

I set the choke and gave a pull and it popped. Knocked the choke back and pulled again and it fired right up. I shut it off and both the pawnsters looked dumfounded and asked what I had done. I smugly told them I had started it. While I had ascertained that it ran I also removed any bargaining power that I had, thus I ponied up the money for the saw.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Stihl460.jpg

Stihl4603.jpg

It currently wears a 20" bar, I think I will grab a 25" for it.

Stihl4605.jpg

Had no intention of buying one, but this seemed like a deal I could not pass up.

Last edited:
I believe you are under contract when on this site that if you score a saw in that range under $200 you have to immediately have it ported:rock:

If you don't your membership will be promptly terminated:taped:

Nice job keeping your eyes open on that. Been a dry run for me at pawn shops lately

You sure are on a roll lately. Pays to make the rounds for sure.

Nice score!!

i set the choke and gave a pull and it popped. knocked the choke back and pulled again and it fired right up. I shut it off and both the pawnsters looked dumfounded and asked what I had done. I smugly told them I had started it.
Would have liked to see this happen!! :ices_rofl:

Good job , but next time leave the switch off pull it a couple times to feel compression ,then offer um 150 tell them a cylinder is 300 . Yes 24 '' maybe 28 . thats at least a tripple you suck.

Awesome deal! You SUCK to the 5th power! Im headed to my local pawns right now.. Youve "inspired " me :msp_thumbup:

Good find-I'd go 28" full comp. 24'' will balance better but isn't big enough for bigger wood. There are some nice 3/4 wraps you can throw on and a dual port cover-you'll be set!

Nice grab!
I once picked up an 880 brand new for $150 because the guy had the chain on backwards.

Don't I wish.

YOU SUCK!!!!!

Latest posts

Back