My 2nd Hardest wood to split (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not one tree. Everything down here in Middle Georgia is smooth like poplar.

Here ya go, took a couple snaps this morning of just medium rough shagbark, the older big ones get real rough, plus some bonus pics from earlier of a nice waterfall. Seriously swamped out here all over. Going by the dogbowl raingauges, got about 2.5 inches this weekend so far, more on the way allegedly. The big creek has overflowed the banks and flooded the fields twice now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

pygmy swamp wookie telling slow ground monkey to go to work and mow the mud.. ;)

attachment.php

How bout that. I've never seen hickory like that. Thanks for the education.

You want some hickory nuts to plant, let me know, mail ya some. Heck, might could mail a real small sapling or two for cheap, Ive bought fruit trees like that before, mail order.

Back when I was a teenager, we had a HUGE Elm out in front of our saw shop. The local historical society came around one day and said that they wanted to measure it, and if it was big enough, put one of those small "historical" plaques on it. Well, it was the second biggest (oldest) in the county and they ordered the plaque. A little over a week later, that tree got hit by lightning. So, it had to come down.
Before this tree, we split all our wood by hand. Well, this Elm was SO HARD (after getting hit by lightning) that my dad broke down and bought a hydraulic splitter. When I could take a full swing (wood to overhead swing back to the wood) with a solid steel maul (handle and all) and it would bounce back up into the air 3-4 feet... that stuff was HARD and springy. Even the 27-t0n splitter had trouble on this stuff.

Back