My "Challenge Oak"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. fords are made to drive down the road and use as a truck, chevy is only good for sitting in the field and rotting, better get a chevy hood. why tear up a good running ford just for the hood.

That must be a trick statement. Were are you going to find a good running Ford:)

Minor details. honestly, I would find a dodge.. but that is just because I am a bow tie guy... we used to use a hood off of an old dodge power wagon to slide down the hill. I am imagining that up the hill would be just as great.

now you're just trying to pick a fight.My OLD Dodge Power Wagon's hood is actually two hoods, with a hinged middle, and totally unsuited to the task(not to mention way too valuable)

I would probably use this I have used it several times skidding on hills
pretty effective:cheers:

Nice picture.I like the old Broncos, and have started a search for one for my son, who will start driving soon( freeing the old man from many a long mile)I couldn't believe the prices guys are asking! I watch ebay, but it seems that high hopes are getting squashed by the economy there.Your saws aren't too bad , either!

Nice picture.I like the old Broncos, and have started a search for one for my son, who will start driving soon( freeing the old man from many a long mile)I couldn't believe the prices guys are asking! I watch ebay, but it seems that high hopes are getting squashed by the economy there.Your saws aren't too bad , either!

Yes they are collectors pony's and are almost unrealistic
in price I have around 6k wrapped up in that horse and
I thought of selling it but hate to, until I finish the paint
and such. I figure it is at least worth 3500.00 and would
not take less but in order to regain some of the loss would
most likely need to paint it.:cheers:

progress

Finally got back to this, even for a few hours. First pic is my anti-bar pinch cut, just like you were falling the tree. I'da made a deeper notch, but I had to straddle this tree like the fatest horse there is, it would have been a little over head high to cut from the ground, and I'm 6' 2".
coak3.jpg
Then I undercut, the hinge works to let the two parts down slower. I had the winch on the butt in case it rolled. My 8' choker wasn't long enough, had to put two together. Second pic, it's in two pieces.
coak4.jpg
Back up the bank [about 12 times] Up comes the butt. Winches are incredible. Sorry guys, no truck hood skid plate - I don't have one laying around, not going to the junkyard to buy one. I understand how it would help, I just don't feel like wrestling one around [any size] on this bank.
coak5.jpg
Hardhat on the butt for scale, usually my heads in it. Butt comes up over the bank, tried to pull it from here with the tractor, but it wants to pull the front wheels up. So, let 'er off, move ahead 20 ft, setup & winch the rest of the way.
coak6.jpg
The last pic is the next log, an 8 footer, averages 34" in diameter. Had to do this cut with the Homelite just for tomtrees :clap: I only brought one 28" chain for the 041, and in what was the seam between the two trees, there was a seam of gravel. Golf ball size stones too. I sawed one. Sparks came out of the cut. I swore. A lot.
coak7.jpg
Wife says she'll come along Sat or Sun to video pulling that 8 footer up, we'll have to figure out you-tube as I've never done it. Anyway, the oak isn't so 'harry' anymore, there's still some daylight under it, but I can reach over it now. There is a sh*t-load of wood in this tree.

Finally got back to this, even for a few hours. First pic is my anti-bar pinch cut, just like you were falling the tree. I'da made a deeper notch, but I had to straddle this tree like the fatest horse there is, it would have been a little over head high to cut from the ground, and I'm 6' 2".
coak3.jpg
Then I undercut, the hinge works to let the two parts down slower. I had the winch on the butt in case it rolled. My 8' choker wasn't long enough, had to put two together. Second pic, it's in two pieces.
coak4.jpg
Back up the bank [about 12 times] Up comes the butt. Winches are incredible. Sorry guys, no truck hood skid plate - I don't have one laying around, not going to the junkyard to buy one. I understand how it would help, I just don't feel like wrestling one around [any size] on this bank.
coak5.jpg
Hardhat on the butt for scale, usually my heads in it. Butt comes up over the bank, tried to pull it from here with the tractor, but it wants to pull the front wheels up. So, let 'er off, move ahead 20 ft, setup & winch the rest of the way.
coak6.jpg
The last pic is the next log, an 8 footer, averages 34" in diameter. Had to do this cut with the Homelite just for tomtrees :clap: I only brought one 28" chain for the 041, and in what was the seam between the two trees, there was a seam of gravel. Golf ball size stones too. I sawed one. Sparks came out of the cut. I swore. A lot.
coak7.jpg
Wife says she'll come along Sat or Sun to video pulling that 8 footer up, we'll have to figure out you-tube as I've never done it. Anyway, the oak isn't so 'harry' anymore, there's still some daylight under it, but I can reach over it now. There is a sh*t-load of wood in this tree.

I like your tractor winch setup :cheers:

Wet1 - It was, until I hit that gravel in the tree - If there'd been some Granola bar eating hikers on the Appalachian trail [1/2 mile as the crow flies] They'd have thought some crazy guy was lose in the woods :dizzy: Ropensaddle, I made that setup some 10 years ago starting with an 8,000 lb wrecker winch. I had it driven by a hydraulic motor, but was never happy with it. Too slow & not enough snot. I had it for sale for awhile, no takers. Glad now it didn't sell. This past summer, I changed it over to pto drive, boy, what a difference. It'll pull the tractor back if you don't stand on the brake pedals sometimes. I thought on this stuff I might have to do the hang a snatch on the log thing & double the cabe back, but no need, it pulled that big butt single line. :clap:

Last edited:
These are the only 2 I have stashed -
w1.jpg
This one I took right after I swaped to pto drive. Used to be a hyd. motor on the upper right where the sprocket is now. Had to add the shaft for the pto shaft to hook to, then rollerchain drive to there. I lost my reverse by going pto, I just have to watch I don't get somewhere I can't back up to let the strain off the cable. So far, so good. The next one mostly shows a sawholder I put on. Inside the two arms, I put expanded metal, makes a good place for gas, oil, extra shackles, etc. The frame I made from old highline tower crossarm. Galvenized, pain to weld, but it was free. Big roller on the back is 6" pipe on roller bearings. The guard I made could be bigger, just in case I ever break a cable.
rearholder.jpg

Wet1 - It was, until I hit that gravel in the tree - If there'd been some Granola bar eating hikers on the Appalachian trail [1/2 mile as the crow flies] They'd have thought some crazy guy was lose in the woods :dizzy: Ropensaddle, I made that setup some 10 years ago starting with an 8,000 lb wrecker winch. I had it driven by a hydraulic motor, but was never happy with it. Too slow & not enough snot. I had it for sale for awhile, no takers. Glad now it didn't sell. This past summer, I changed it over to pto drive, boy, what a difference. It'll pull the tractor back if you don't stand on the brake pedals sometimes. I thought on this stuff I might have to do the hang a snatch on the log thing & double the cabe back, but no need, it pulled that big butt single line. :clap:

:clap: Nothing handier than a strong winch and a mobile one
even better :cheers:

I got out for an hour this morning, first pic is the gravel in the log I hit yesterday. That grey stone is what I hit, and it will mess uo a chisel chain.
stone.jpg
I cut up and hauled the butt home, thats it for the day, I'm relegated to domestic duty as 20 reletives are coming here.
coakl1.jpg

log mill

:givebeer: The price there getting for white oak today??? I'd sell the bottom to the mill and have them pull the top out for you!! on level ground..
If this is not an option use a snatch block keep us updated on your
project??? thx---------------------------------Ian

Back